PDA

View Full Version : What's on my hammer coral?

Reefer1991
05/09/2017, 06:37 PM
About a week ago I purchased a gold tip hammer to add to my collection. It hasn't fully expanded but it isn't retracted either so I assume it i still acclimating a little. Anyways, today I was looking at it and I noticed black bumps on most of the polyps. As strange as it sounds, each polyp only has one black bump each and they are about half way up each polyp. What could these be? The polyps splitting to create more or is this a pest on my coral that I need to do something about? Also, my other hammers look weird when expanded. Their polyps are short and stubby and the flesh that the polyps come out of is expanded like a bubble. The first picture is the gold tip with the black dots on it. The second is my hammers that are expanded in a weird way. The third is a picture of my healthy hammers. So does anybody have any idea what these bumps are? I appreciate your time.

jstack
05/09/2017, 07:41 PM
those are slit's at some point the hammer was hit with too much flow. when this happens Euphyllia emergency release's its water out it will heal npz

jstack
05/09/2017, 07:47 PM
another kool thing is when they are young their anchors will fully form check this out always love the way they look young xD

Reefer1991
05/10/2017, 07:34 AM
another kool thing is when they are young their anchors will fully form check this out always love the way they look young xD

Are you sure that's not a frogspawn? If not then that's good to know. Thanks

jstack
05/10/2017, 01:24 PM
Yeah it's a wall hammer my 2nd

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk