PDA

View Full Version : Low PH 7.4

dhanck
05/09/2017, 07:10 PM
I may just be freaking out, but I reset up this tank off a buddy on Sunday, the PH was around 8.2, now it is around 7.4.

Is this normal during the early/cycle stage?

Can/should I add some water with a lot of PH buffer to raise the PH?

AlSimmons
05/09/2017, 07:38 PM
This link might help.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

ReeferNoob4ever
05/10/2017, 12:06 PM
Don't add buffer yet. Figure out what the problem is first. In my experience it's either high CO2 from die off OR an imbalance in your water chemistry. When you restarted the tank did you:

Use RO/DI water and aerate it for 24 hrs before adding salt?

If you don't already have them, buy tests for:

Kh, Ca++, Magnesium, and O2

mcgyvr
05/10/2017, 12:11 PM
Just throw your PH test kit in the trash... yes.. really..

All you need to worry about now is salinity, ammonia, nitrite,nitrate... thats it..

Dale_M
05/10/2017, 12:18 PM
Forget about testing the PH.
Going forward test for Alkilinity, Calcium and Magnesium.
Water changes should keep those parameters in check.
If its a new cycle then you should be checking for ammonia and nitrite.
Nitrates is something to keep and eye on also and should be between 5 - 20 ppm

mcgyvr
05/10/2017, 12:24 PM
Nitrates is something to keep and eye on also and should be between 5 - 20 ppm

5-20ppm? When?
Nitrates can be much higher towards the end of cycling in some tanks..
I try to avoid giving numbers during cycling as all tanks are different and to avoid newbie panic... "dale.. my nitrates are 35 during my cycle.. what do I do.. oh my god" :)..

dhanck
05/10/2017, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the replies.

My biggest concern was that it dippedfairly far into 7 instead of just into the upper7's in the "acceptable" range for PH.

The tests for Nitrites and Nitrates both read at 0 (or atleast on the color scale, I don't have digital measuring equipment).

The ammonia was at 0.25 ppm.

Salinity is right around 1.023.

Tripod1404
05/10/2017, 12:29 PM
Never add a buffer with the goal of adjusting pH. That never works, pH will just go back to the point that is determined by CO2 equilibrium between your tank and ambient air and organic acids. The only thing those buffer will do is changing the alkalinity and/or ion balance and if you try to maintain pH by constantly adding those, it will nuke alkalinity.

Dale_M
05/10/2017, 12:38 PM
If ammonia is at 0.25 ppm then you are just in beginning stage of the cycle.
Do not add anything else to tank.
Have patience, it will take a while.

dhanck
05/10/2017, 12:44 PM
The test kit I inherited had PH, nitrates, nitrates and ammonia. Do you have recommendations for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, carbonates etc. testing kits?

Since it seems there are differing opinions on what I should test at this point, I will do some research before I purchase.

dhanck
05/10/2017, 12:49 PM
Also, I apologize, I should have been more clear, the tank was moved and re-setup within a day and the rock was kept wet as was the sand. We did add some new sand and mixed new water and about 20-30% of the old water from the transportation.

I was told there shouldn't be much of a cycle, but not really sure what to expect from water parameters.

mcgyvr
05/10/2017, 02:07 PM
There shouldn't be much of a cycle if any then..

Are you planning on keeping corals?
If not don't waste your money on alk/cal/mag test kits provided you will do regular water changes...

If you do want corals then Red Sea, Salifert, Hanna,etc.. all have good test kits of one sort or another.. The Hanna digitals are great/super easy but more expensive in general..

dhanck
05/10/2017, 02:14 PM
I am 50/50 on corals. I am a fish person and want them to be the focus of the tank, but every time I walk through the local fish store I find myself checking out the corals and thinking this would add a nice pop to the display.

So, that leads me to believe I will probably end up getting into them (even if it is in limited quantity)

Sk8r
05/10/2017, 02:15 PM
They grow. Some grow fast. Fish like them in general. Some quite rely on them for cover and comfort.

mcgyvr
05/10/2017, 02:17 PM
I am 50/50 on corals.

Stability is key to corals.. Great/stable parameters are very important..
So you will certainly need test kits when (and before) you get them to ensure you are ready..

ReeferNoob4ever
05/10/2017, 05:46 PM
My tank did something similar to yours but it was during they cycle and was more like 7.8ph. However, I disagree with not testing ph. I test mine every week and it is 8.1 now. I also test O2 once a month. I noticed when my ph was lower so was my O2. Now oxygen is at 8. Salifert makes O2 tests which I also use foe magnesium testing once a month. Everything else is API.