PDA

View Full Version : Adding more blue to Biocube 32 LED lights

Jenyphur
05/09/2017, 08:03 PM
Has anyone ever thought of adding more blue lights to under the hood of the BC32? The thing I don't like about the light is that when I have it on both white and blue, it seems to be a LOT of white and not enough blue. My corals seem to be doing ok, but they just don't 'pop' unless I use just the blues and then they start to shrink because they think it's night time.

The other option I am thinking about is ripping the hood off and getting something like the AI Prime or equivalent so I can have more control.

I wish I would have known these things *before* I started, I probably would have gone with a rimless and done my own thing. Lessons learned.

rockhead51
05/09/2017, 08:19 PM
Jenny, there's a thread somewhere on here (or on R2R) specifically for the BC 32... There is at least one premade option for more controllable lights... Lemme see if I can find a link....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jenyphur
05/09/2017, 08:28 PM
Cool, I think you might be talking about Steve's LED upgrade? I have seen it but didn't really look too much into it, I should take another look.

I am seriously considering going topless (lol) and getting the AI Prime HD so that it's programmable.

rockhead51
05/09/2017, 08:45 PM
Jenny, yes. Steve's. Not cheap, but then, what is in this game?
I like the topless idea; just don't remove the Cube's top, too! LOL!

rockhead51
05/09/2017, 08:48 PM
Just had a thought: never tried it, but what if you ran just the sunrise/sunset (or "enhanced" as Coralife calls it) program without daylights? After the ramp up, does it stay in enhanced mode, or does it assume that we all go to whites at that time?

Jenyphur
05/09/2017, 09:09 PM
Hmmmm...interesting. If you run the demo mode..it wilk cycle through all the settings.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Therinx
05/10/2017, 01:45 PM
There's also RapidLED.

Therinx
05/10/2017, 01:49 PM
And almost forgot - Nanobox retrofit.

ReefWreak
05/11/2017, 02:46 PM
You could always add supplemental LEDs as well. People used to use these Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips (http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_12.5_Inch_Stunner_6W_445nm_Royal_Blue_LED_Strip_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08016-FILTFILDLK-vi.html) to add supplemental blue to their tanks. When I bought my tank, it came with 3 Ecoxotic Pro modules that were heavily blue. I've since changed to the RapidLED kit, and can control the coloration a bit more, so I just dial blue to 100% and turn down the white/color LED string to get it just blue enough.

SueandDavesReef
06/22/2017, 05:07 AM
I have been running the stock lights since I started the tank almost 3 months now. Got some montis and some acros they seem happy and healthy. We will see how much growth these lights will produce. Jen did you add new lights??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mcaswell
07/23/2017, 08:48 PM
Found this post when googling for "how to add more blue to BioCube 32", and wanted to contribute a little info for the sake of anyone else who might be seeking an answer to the same question.

I too found the stock BC32 lighting to be just a little too warm in color temp. While a more powerful (and adjustable) LED retrofit kit is the most solid solution, given that I don't think I need more powerful lighting at the moment, I wanted to try some less expensive options.

It looks like the strip lights mentioned a few posts back are discontinued, but I found something similar on Amazon that works pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X84LTBY

I purchased two of these (the 14.5") for $15 each. One is suction-cupped to the black area of the splash shield, and the other is zip-tied just behind the feed door (they are submersible). While the amount of light that these put out appears relatively insignificant, they do indeed provide the exact shift in color I was hoping for.