PDA

View Full Version : Tank looks like @#$& !!

Spectorman
05/10/2017, 01:02 PM
I have always had a great looking tank. I admit,I have been doing work on my house like replacing 2 bathrooms, refinishing 800 square feet of hardwood flooring....all to get ready to sell my house and move.
That said, I have not had time for my aquarium. It looks......ok. I suppose. My sps looks terrible. I have a red lobo that has never been happy but,is now turning pink. My Xenia is no longer pulsing. Just the tank looks unhappy. I would like to believe the parameters are good. I use salifert kits for Mag/Alk/Cal. My mag is high. Around 15-1600. Not the end of the world though.
I am trying to figure out what happened since the tank is pretty much automated. See if anything seems troublesome to y'all?
92gallon corner
2 Kessil A360's/conttoller that never get over 10%color/30%intensity
6 bulb T5 fixture
2 maxspect gyre 230's
Algae turf scrubber
Kalkwasser/jebao timer pumps
GFO reactor
Carbon reactor
Nitrates and phosphate always "0" according to salifert kits.
Calcium hovers around 430-440ppm
Alkalinity around 9-10DKh
pH stable at 8.3 salt 1.025ish
My T5 bulbs are 9 months old and need replacing.
The Kessil are reduced to just putting shimmer and adding blue. $900.00 of useless
I feed every other day.
I have not done a water change since October
But I figured with the ATS and the kalk I should be good. I plan on returning to my old schedule starting next week.
Any ideas for issues would be appreciated.

d2mini
05/10/2017, 01:08 PM
Nitrates and phosphate always "0" according to salifert kits.

Alkalinity around 9-10DKh

This is what stands out to me.

First, coral need food. Zero nutrients is not good at all.
You can feed more, add more fish, dose nitrates... get your nitrates up to 2-5ppm and your p04 up too.

And along with that, your DKH is high for having no nutrients. You could be running that around 8 or less.

But I'd just focus on those nutrients. Definitely take the GFO off line. If your p04 isn't over .1ppm, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

And I know there are those who say you don't need to do water changes, but I still believe in them for the simple fact that they replenish elements outside of Alk, Calc, and Mag.

mikeatjac
05/10/2017, 01:10 PM
This is what stands out to me.

First, coral need food. Zero nutrients is not good at all.
You can feed more, add more fish, dose nitrates... get your nitrates up to 2-5ppm and your p04 up too.

And along with that, your DKH is high for having no nutrients. You could be running that around 8 or less.

But I'd just focus on those nutrients. Definitely take the GFO off line. If your p04 isn't over .1ppm, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

And I know there are those who say you don't need to do water changes, but I still believe in them for the simple fact that they replenish elements outside of Alk, Calc, and Mag.

Very wise advise.

Spectorman
05/10/2017, 04:26 PM
I did take the GFO off line.last night. Actually,I know I need to do water changes. I'll start next week again. I'm happy you said remove the GFO as a good idea. I was thinking the same thing. I may put it on a timer to work a few hours a day.
For 1-1/4 cups of GFO in an 80gallon twv tank with one feeding every other day. What do you think an appropriate hpd sched would be to maintain that nutrient level? I would say 6 hpd sounds right. Would you agree??

Pond Boy
05/10/2017, 04:30 PM
My T5 bulbs are 9 months old and need replacing.

I plan on returning to my old schedule starting next week.

Um why not start now? Replace those old T5's do a water change I'll bet she turns around in a month or so...

d2mini
05/10/2017, 05:42 PM
Why run something you don't need?
GFO is harsh on the system. It's a bandaid. Only my kids walk around with bandaids for no reason. ;)
What is twv?
Feeding once every other day? How about AT LEAST once a day.

Spectorman
05/10/2017, 06:45 PM
Um why not start now? Replace those old T5's do a water change I'll bet she turns around in a month or so...

Yeah, you're probably right. If I start, I'll finish. I'll order new bulbs tomorrow.
I guess I've been so, buried with my house the past few months.
I'm a professional musician. I haven't had time to oil my fret boards either. I just need to do it.
Also, I'll keep the GFO off line until my nitrates get above 5.

d2mini
05/10/2017, 06:47 PM
Also, I'll keep the GFO off line until my nitrates get above 5.

GFO doesn't remove nitrates, only phosphate.
Skimmers and water changes remove nitrates.

Spectorman
05/10/2017, 08:56 PM
GFO doesn't remove nitrates, only phosphate.
Skimmers and water changes remove nitrates.

I know. I realized my mistake. I have an ATS for nitrates.my bad

ROB2005
05/11/2017, 05:33 AM
To sum up this thread: get to work and bring out the beauty in that tank of yours lol. In all seriousness, we all have busy lives, I guess keeping a schedule or to do list that will help you out more when it comes to your tank.

Spectorman
05/11/2017, 06:21 AM
I am making water right now. Busy? Yes..... I should know myself by now? My tank will look great again.

Pond Boy
05/11/2017, 06:48 AM
Sometimes it just take a kick in the duff to get moving. Sound like you are on track to get the tank running as it should.. Good Job!