PDA

View Full Version : Lanthanum Chloride Dosing

reefdude3749
05/11/2017, 11:10 AM
I have been reading many of the LC dosing threads on RC, great info, thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or data around LC dosing for a tank that is relatively low in phosphates to start with? Many of the threads using LC dosing are starting are >0.2 ppm phosphate. I typically hold about 0.06 ppm phosphate via Hanna (have a fuge with chaeto), but my sand and back pane (which does not get cleaned often) does grow some decent algae. My thought is to dose diluted LC on a regular basis to keep the phosphate <0.03 ppm.

My system volume is about 800 gallons so GFO becomes a PIA as it needs to be changed so often just due to the large volume.

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts and guidance...JPB

DrDNA
05/11/2017, 04:06 PM
I've used it on my 300 to get phosphates down from 1.5ppm to 0.1ppm. Less than that and me sticks get too pale. I think I was dosing about 4cc per day with heavy feeding. The one annoying thing is that it adds a film on the inside of the glass or acrylic than can be a pain to remove

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dave.m
05/12/2017, 02:02 PM
The best post I've seen on LaCl3 dosing was here by slief. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24481928&postcount=20)

The one annoying thing is that it adds a film on the inside of the glass or acrylic than can be a pain to remove
Try running it directly through a filter sock as described in the link above. The precipitate should not be allowed to run into the tank.

Dave.M

DrDNA
05/13/2017, 03:57 PM
The best post I've seen on LaCl3 dosing was here by slief. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24481928&postcount=20)

Try running it directly through a filter sock as described in the link above. The precipitate should not be allowed to run into the tank.

Dave.M
I learned that the hard way... I do now dose in to the overflow so it gets trapped in the filter socks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk