PDA

View Full Version : Mantis - I.D.

Kharn
05/11/2017, 06:11 PM
Got me stumped o_O

It's obviously some sort of small smasher species.

http://i.imgur.com/bXLasT0.jpg

PalaciosAn
05/11/2017, 06:40 PM
Wow, it's beautiful. I thing is just a red mantis shrimp.

Hadla
05/12/2017, 05:50 AM
Interesting! Nice coloring :)

Gonodactylus
05/12/2017, 09:23 AM
It would appear to be an undescribed species of Gonodactylus, probably related to G. smithii. I've seen two specimens that were similar with dramatic white antennules and very long pleopod setae. They were both purple, but the red coloration could be due to the animal living at depth. I've seen smithii that came from 20 m this color. What color is the meral spot? Does is have the red bumps at the base of the uropods that G. smithii has.

If possible, I would urge you to send the specimen along with color photos of it to Shane Ahyong to be described and named. I think Shane has seen this species before and mentions it in his description of G. smithii in his thesis.

Roy

Kharn
05/12/2017, 06:38 PM
It would appear to be an undescribed species of Gonodactylus, probably related to G. smithii. I've seen two specimens that were similar with dramatic white antennules and very long pleopod setae. They were both purple, but the red coloration could be due to the animal living at depth. I've seen smithii that came from 20 m this color. What color is the meral spot? Does is have the red bumps at the base of the uropods that G. smithii has.

If possible, I would urge you to send the specimen along with color photos of it to Shane Ahyong to be described and named. I think Shane has seen this species before and mentions it in his description of G. smithii in his thesis.

Roy

Interesting you should mention this.

A) The white antennules also brought to mind that same mantis in the photo you posted about.

B) I'm not sure how to get in contact with Dr. S Ahyong anymore I already tried sourcing his contact through the internet yesterday but the emails I sent all got returned to me as undeliverable, can you PM me an accurate email address?

Thanks for responding.

Gonodactylus
05/15/2017, 08:48 AM
I think this animal is Gonodactylaceus randalii. The color of the eyes and the rostrum fit. I have photographs of thsi species from Cairns and Moorea. It is found living in coral usually on the fore reef at moderate depth - 10- 20 m.

Roy

Gonodactylus
05/15/2017, 08:55 AM
Here is a photo of the same species from Cairns.

Roy

Gonodactylus
05/15/2017, 08:58 AM
And from Cairns.