PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Coral "dormant?"

SaltmanBasssa
05/11/2017, 06:37 PM
Hi guys - I added a few select corals to my Reefer 450 about 2 weeks ago, including open brain, bubble, misc. mushrooms and a Slipper (tongue).

I did the usual coral dip process, acclimated and placed them in the DT.

It so happens, that all the pieces are thriving with the exception of the Slipper- Running RadionXR30 at about 50%.

I have the coral placed in a medium flow position, on the sand bed, not touching anything. For about 3-4 days, it was thriving, extended tentacles (green tips) and it looked great. Since that time, its been retracted and looks "dormant" - not bleached, just not extended - at all.

I have attached a photo here.

Any thoughts?!

Thanks!

AlSimmons
05/11/2017, 06:48 PM
What kind of fish/invertebrates do you have in the tank?

SaltmanBasssa
05/11/2017, 06:53 PM
The tank is 5 months old - just began stocking: current - 2 clowns, Desjardin - waiting in QT is Flame Hawk, Tomini Tang, pseudochrimis, Dragonet

ca1ore
05/11/2017, 10:51 PM
If it hasn't already, a Desjardini Sailfin will go insane in a 50 gallon tank (ok, fine, 54). Maybe it's bothering the coral, maybe not. I always found slipper corals touchy.

SaltmanBasssa
05/12/2017, 05:10 AM
If it hasn't already, a Desjardini Sailfin will go insane in a 50 gallon tank (ok, fine, 54). Maybe it's bothering the coral, maybe not. I always found slipper corals touchy.

Yeah, I would be worried in a small tank - the 450 is 92gal up top. I am confident the Desjardin should be ok in this size (5ft) if it remains a not too heavily stocked tank.

The tank is also loaded with Nasarrius, turbos, handful of crabs - but I've never seen them on or around the slipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
05/12/2017, 06:43 AM
Sorry, I misread your post as Reefer 250. I'd not be so confident even in a 5' tank though.

sde1500
05/12/2017, 08:12 AM
Especially when planning to add another tang as well.

Try moving the coral, since it definitely doesn't seem happy where it is.