PDA

View Full Version : Empty Shells for Hermit Crabs

raemlpz
05/11/2017, 07:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum, well I'm fairly new to this hobby altogether. But anyway my question was, do you guys have any recommendations or places you know where I can get empty shells for my red legged hermit crabs? They are starting to grow and I know soon enough they're going to need to move shells, and the last thing I want is them attacking my mexican turbo snails.

J2T
05/12/2017, 06:02 AM
I know reefcleaners sells them, I imagine other online vendors would also. Don't think I've seen any LFS sell them before, at least not in my area

Hadla
05/12/2017, 07:18 AM
eBay :) but make sure there was nothing harmful used on them and I'd soak them in a bucket for a few days to be safe also

raemlpz
05/12/2017, 03:51 PM
Okay great I'll check both out. Thanks y'all.

ROB2005
05/14/2017, 11:38 AM
Another way I did that if you had any snails in the tank that unfortunately croaked, I kept all the empty shells and scattered them about so the hermits had various sizes that they could try out and call home!

norfolkgarden
05/16/2017, 05:26 PM
Four local LSS have them for sale.

Blue leg hermit crabs like dwarf cerith snails.

Dwarf zebra Hermits like Margarita snail shells.

Scarlet hermit crabs like Nassarius snail shells.

Just random observations from our hermit crabs that we've had for five years

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

norfolkgarden
05/16/2017, 05:35 PM
Nothing seems to like astrea snail shells.

The Halloween hermit crabs like elongated shells kind of like the cone shells.
Can't think of the actual name of the shell but it had bumps and ridges near the top. it was just stretched out like a cone snail shell, maybe some type of elongated conch?

If I am remembering right, the blue legs and the red legs compete with each other more so than the other varieties.
So your red leg hermit crabs might like dwarf cerith snails best?

norfolkgarden
05/16/2017, 05:38 PM
Nothing really seems to like turbo snails either but that's maybe because our turbos are way too large for our hermit crabs.

How big are your red legs?

raemlpz
05/22/2017, 08:42 AM
I managed to get empty shells from that reefcleaners place. Pretty cheap. And my red legs are small, only have one medium sized one.