PDA

View Full Version : Tank gets cloudy during the day?

pickle311
05/12/2017, 07:54 AM
Tank is still new, been running for a month now. Just added cleanup crew and 1 fish a week ago. Parameters are all in check, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates.

When I get up in the mornings, the tank is crystal clear. When I get home in the evenings, it's cloudy. Not bad by any means, but enough to notice. I'm guessing it's some sort of algae bloom. The tank went through the diatom phase already and that has pretty well cleared up. I am seeing a film on the glass in the evenings that appears, I clean it off with the magnet. That's to be expected.

I've just never seen this where it gets cloudy during the day and clears up over night. It's been happening for a few days now. I'm hoping it will clear up on it's own.

I also haven't done any water changes yet. I was going to give it another week or so before I start that.

jenkinscrew2578
05/12/2017, 07:58 AM
What are your Phosphates?
Do you run any carbon?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

vhuang168
05/12/2017, 08:01 AM
A month old tank with 0 nitrates!?! How did you cycle the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
05/12/2017, 08:05 AM
Is the tank exposed to sunlight? Direct or a decent amount of indirect?

You sure its not always cloudy and you just notice it with the lights on?

Any chance its just a slight sandstorm from powerheads blowing fine sand around?

IMO is fairly common for a tank to be cloudy.. Could either be from fine sands or a bacterial bloom.. IMO.. Give it more time to pass..
Probably nothing wrong..

pickle311
05/12/2017, 08:09 AM
No carbon, not sure on phosphates need to get a test kit for it.

Tank was cycled with a mix of live rock and some dry rock and live sand.

There is a noticeable difference in water clarity throughout the day. I thought about the sand, but the pumps aren't on any cycle and run constant. I shouldn't see a variance between morning and evening due to sand.

mcgyvr
05/12/2017, 08:14 AM
Give it time.. It should/will pass..

Rtdrumz
05/12/2017, 08:24 AM
What does your cleanup crew consist of?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LX20000
05/12/2017, 08:28 AM
Are you running any sort of filter socks? What micron rating? You might need something to pull out very very fine particulates.

pickle311
05/12/2017, 08:52 AM
Cleanup crew as of now is 10 hermits, 5 turbo snails, and 5 astrea snails.

My drain line runs through a 100 micron filter sock that gets swapped and cleaned every 3 days.

vhuang168
05/13/2017, 09:55 AM
Tank was cycled with a mix of live rock and some dry rock and live sand.

Did you feed it any ammonia to start the cycle? If not, did you see any ammonia or check to see how long the tank processes ammonia?

If you started with enough live rock, it should be fine. Just want to make sure the tank is cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk