PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea E Max 260 - 4 mos in

stratozyck
05/12/2017, 04:42 PM
I can't start a blog but I am finally willing to post a pic of my tank. Compared to many here it feels a little bit like comparing biceps with olympic weightlifters because the coral has not grown much since putting it in.

Hair algae is still a minor issue but less so than 1 month ago. I did not use RO/DO water at the start and that was a mistake. Corals are doing well. I bought a larger acro piece (top center) and broke off several pieces and glued them all over the tank. I got to liking the commensurate crab in it and bought another piece a few days ago that has a crab in it as well.

I am hooked and plan on buying a second bigger tank within the next 12-18 months. My hope is to be able to frag some pieces that have grown in this one and use it in the other. The rockwork was done to maximize caves because at the beginning I didn't think I would get into coral and thought I'd like other things more. I re arranged the rocks and took a lot out and put it in a 20G tank (not pictured). I am growing aiptasia in the 20G.

One good thing I can say, right now, is that I do not appear to have aiptasia in the big tank. I used an aiptasia eating filefish (since returned to store), 4 peppermint shrimp, covering it up with glue, and finally manual removal of any rock I gave up on. I am sure this means I will find a bunch of them tonight.

http://imgur.com/3x5dn4f

A sea K
05/13/2017, 03:37 PM
Don't sweat trying to compare yourself to others on this board, just do your own thing and try to be content. I really like where my tank is right now and realize it still needs to grow in some more but when I look at other systems here at times I actually get depressed.

How large a system are you looking into and where are you in GA? Shameless plug here but I have a biggish system and am looking to make a killer deal to move it.