PDA

View Full Version : Possible that Tongue Coral sucked life from my tank?

Big Chief
05/14/2017, 07:17 AM
Help me understand this... I'm a novice and only guessing this theory...

I have an established 16g Nano (IM Nuvo 16) for about 1 year. Have some Zoas and Frogspawn. I made a "leap" into a Tongue Coral because "it looked so cool". At the time parameters all seemed inline, except it was tricky to maintain high ph and calcium, but I was dosing with A/B which was helping.

The tonque coral seemed to last about 4 months and we finally called it quits. What I noticed was the tank itself seemed to "wither". The coraline which covered my rocks was disappearing... and also I think I lost my Frogspawn, which had been going about 6 months prior. Its still holding on, but lost 90% of its size.

Is it possible the tongue coral was sucking everything up? I realize this tank is not ideal for SPS/LPS... thought I would try it out. What advice can you give me for the future (other than, dont do it again, lol).

NOTES: I use a chemipure/floss on 1 stack, and carbon/floss on the other filter stack. Sparingly, I dosed with Reef Builder to help with ph... and dosed A/B often to help calcium.

Thanks,

MreasyC
05/14/2017, 08:11 AM
What is your water change schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Chief
05/14/2017, 08:14 AM
I do 2 gal every 2 weeks... sometimes weekly if get a chance. I use store bought distilled water everytime. Mix is RedSea salt.

Of the 16 gal tank, its really only about 12g of water, lots of LR/LS.

MreasyC
05/14/2017, 11:24 AM
Not sure if the coral was / wasn't the culprit. With a reef tank that small you almost need to do a 2 gal change every week. Also you must be really careful dosing in that small body of water.

What is your livestock situation?
Could your temperature be high or low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Chief
05/14/2017, 01:33 PM
Only 1 fish - Bangai Cardinal. 1 peppermint shrimp and about 10+ hermits. Livestock is un-affected and water parameters are all inline. Except ph is always tricky to keep above 8.1 ish... and calcium around 380-400 ish.

I have been careful on the dosing... and really dont want to even do it because of the hassle. As a result I have realized keeping hard coral is just not a good idea... but my concern was why the coraline reduced... and also why the established hammer coral reduced. I just kinda of guessed it was the new addition of the tonque coral (which is now gone from the tank)? Or I suppose it was just coincidence? Maybe even bad dosing?