PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing Media

Deezill
05/16/2017, 09:03 AM
Hello RC Peeps. While I am looking for the type of cabinet to house my Sump
I am using a canister filter (Fluval FX6). Everything in my tank is great.
My question is when I am cleaning the media such as the pads which I guess is Mechanical media I know they house Nitrates and am I to rinse these in old tank water or newly made tank water? I am always reading about rinsing media in old tank water which I don't understand why because what would be the purpose of Maintenance seeing that old tank water has the nitrates we are trying to get out. can someone clarify this for me. I have been in the hobby for 16 months and still don't understand that part i just follow the practice. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AlSimmons
05/16/2017, 09:21 AM
The only reason for rinsing the media in old tank water or new tank water is to preserve the beneficial bacteria that might be living on/within the media. Being that your rocks are probably teaming with this bacteria you don't really need to do this. A good rinse under the faucet should suffice. The Nitrates you referred to come from all the poop, leftover food etc that's trapped within the media. This is what your trying to remove.

Rtdrumz
05/16/2017, 09:27 AM
The idea is that you retain benefcial bacteria by rinsing with tank water. There will be some that will tell you to use the old tank water, but the beneficial bacteria are not suspended in the water column. If you have an established tank with live rock and a sand bed, you will retain the beneficial bacteria there. IMO, as long as you are cleaning that media really good it won't matter if you lose a little beneficial bacteria. I clean mine with clean water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deezill
05/16/2017, 11:30 AM
ok now that makes since. I was wondeering why use old tank water when I have good RODI water and most times I have extra that I could rinse the media in. thanks guys.