PDA

View Full Version : Filling the washing with waste RODI (a different type of question)

mrsixstrings12
05/16/2017, 04:25 PM
New-er homeowner here and I hate watching my waste RODI water go down the drain. I've heard about filling the washing machine up with it, but how do I go about doing that?

Obviously, stick the black tube into the washing machine, but how do I know when to stop filling? Once my load is covered? For those of you who do this, do you also use the waste water for the rinse cycle of your machines?

LobsterOfJustice
05/16/2017, 04:57 PM
When I moved into my first apartment, I was excited to take everyone's advice and put my wastewater to good use filling the washing machine. First time I ran the RODI, I flooded the apartment.

Seems like a good idea in theory but you have to be very attentive and willing to time your laundry around when you make water... send it outside to water the plants IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
05/17/2017, 06:14 AM
I make 45g of RO/DI at a time. The 180 gallons of reject water (it's only waste water if you waste it) goes into a cistern in my garage. Being in Florida, lots of us keep our washer & dryer in the garage as well. I hooked up a 3600gph pump to the cistern and use it to fill the washer for the first cycle only. BTW, it only takes about 30 to 60 seconds.

Run your washer with what you would call a 'normal' load and see how full the machine fills the tub. That's how much water you put in. It's that simple. Or you can start the reject water and turn the washer on as well. When the washer stops filling, it's time to shut off the reject water as well.

Almost every load of laundry I do is with reject water for the wash cycle. Yes, I do the laundry, I'm retired and my wife still works a 40 hour week and cuts the grass!:p

outssider
05/17/2017, 04:18 PM
I make water when I know i'm going to be home (i'm retired so I have time to do this sort of thing). I fill 5 gal buckets with the waste water (place the bucket in the laundry sink that's in the garage) it takes about 40 minutes to fill (set a timer). I store the water with a lid till it's time for doing laundry (washer is right there) . you could put the line in the washer and time how long it takes the first time, next time you do laundry just put the line in and set your timer. you will need to be home when the timer goes off.