PDA

View Full Version : Question about my Tank Cycle

Farmacy
05/16/2017, 06:58 PM
I'm about 10 days into my cycle and I've noticed that my ammonia and nitrate are nearing 0 but my Nitrite is sky high. Should I let is continue to cycle or is there something that needs to be done? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

gffpm1247
05/16/2017, 07:01 PM
Hope this helps.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/ccc5046bdf53105e6553fc1497e44716.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Troublekitty
05/16/2017, 07:23 PM
Your cycle is going good. The only way to remove your nitrates is with a water change but don't do that until ammonia and nitrite are at zero.

Farmacy
05/16/2017, 07:34 PM
Your cycle is going good. The only way to remove your nitrates is with a water change but don't do that until ammonia and nitrite are at zero.

What if my nitrates reach 0 before my nitrites?

Troublekitty
05/16/2017, 07:38 PM
What if my nitrates reach 0 before my nitrites?
The bacteria in your tank can only consume ammonia and nitrite. You have to do water changes throughout the life of your tank to remove them. There's more advanced ways I'm sure to do it but the most common method is a water change. So don't change your water until you reach zero on ammonia and nitrite.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Troublekitty
05/16/2017, 07:39 PM
Also what method of cycling are you doing? Ghost feeding,Dr Tim's?

Farmacy
05/16/2017, 07:43 PM
Let me rephrase this, is there something wrong with my cycle if my nitrates and nitrites both spiked at the same time and my nitrites remain higher than my nitrates?

Troublekitty
05/16/2017, 07:45 PM
Let me rephrase this, is there something wrong with my cycle if my nitrates and nitrites both spiked at the same time and my nitrites remain higher than my nitrates?
During your cycle no. If you had livestock in there then you'd have a problem. How are you doing your cycle? Shrimp? Dr Tim's ammonia?

Farmacy
05/16/2017, 07:50 PM
70 gallon with live sand and dry Pukani rock from BRS. I used biospira 3 days in and ghost feed 2tbls of dry flake the same night. I haven't been running the leds the entire time. I had trace amounts of ammonia the first 3 days (.25-.50) once I added the biospira everything woke up obviously. Ammonia shot up as well as nitrites. Nitrates were visible around day 5 or so. Nitrites are still way high and everything else is balancing out. I can provide detailed readings if need be. Thanks for the help.

Troublekitty
05/16/2017, 07:56 PM
70 gallon with live sand and dry Pukani rock from BRS. I used biospira 3 days in and ghost feed 2tbls of dry flake the same night. I haven't been running the leds the entire time. I had trace amounts of ammonia the first 3 days (.25-.50) once I added the biospira everything woke up obviously. Ammonia shot up as well as nitrites. Nitrates were visible around day 5 or so. Nitrites are still way high and everything else is balancing out. I can provide detailed readings if need be. Thanks for the help.
You might want to wait it out. If you go to the New to the hobby. Basically the room we're in and look for the thread "High nitrites and stalled cycle". That's mine. It'll show you what I'm going through and you can base your decision on that. My nitrites got real high and I did a partial WC. It brought everything down but I redosed ammonia to see if it would cycle in a 24 hr period. This is with ammonia though so I wouldn't treat it the same as how you're cycling but it could give you something to consider. As long as your nitrites are coming down I'd say wait.

Farmacy
05/16/2017, 08:03 PM
You might want to wait it out. If you go to the New to the hobby. Basically the room we're in and look for the thread "High nitrites and stalled cycle". That's mine. It'll show you what I'm going through and you can base your decision on that. My nitrites got real high and I did a partial WC. It brought everything down but I redosed ammonia to see if it would cycle in a 24 hr period. This is with ammonia though so I wouldn't treat it the same as how you're cycling but it could give you something to consider. As long as your nitrites are coming down I'd say wait.

Cool, thank you very much for the help.

Troublekitty
05/16/2017, 08:04 PM
Cool, thank you very much for the help.
Yeah no problem. Best of luck to you.