PDA

View Full Version : How often do you test?

goldnlovr
05/16/2017, 08:28 PM
I have a 13.5g fluval evo and was wondering how often I really need to test. I usually test right before a water change and a day after. I'll also test if something starts to look weird. Should I test more or is this overkill?

humphreyhh
05/16/2017, 08:43 PM
I used to test very frequently, about every week, but gradually I found my water level quite stable so I check it every two weeks and rotate on what I check. For example I checked nitrate this time then next time I will check ammonia.

I have two clownfish one damsel and one lta in my 20g long. I think it all depends on how you maintain your tank.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Knighthawk
05/16/2017, 08:53 PM
My schedule is test KH,CA,PO4 and NO3 weekly. Then test MG once a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dew reefing
05/16/2017, 09:25 PM
I test every couple of months only nitrates

Potatohead
05/16/2017, 09:35 PM
Alk about four or five nights a week, everything else once a week.

JUNBUG361
05/16/2017, 10:05 PM
Twice a week

A sea K
05/17/2017, 04:16 AM
Check Cal, Alk, and Mag weekly then rotate between Nitrate and Phosphate every other week.

Ron Reefman
05/17/2017, 04:28 AM
The newer you are to the hobby, the newer your tank is and the smaller your tank is, the more often you will need to test.

New tanks: ammonia, nitrate and maybe phosphate.

Older tanks: Ca and alk regularly, Mg every couple of months... maybe nitrate or phosphate if I see any algae or if something dies and I can't find it in the tank.

Smaller tanks can get out of balance VERY quickly, so testing more frequently until you get very stable is the smart thing to do.

I have a 200g system that is just over 6 months old and I've been in the hobby about 12 years. Given the newer tank, but big system and all the experience, I test Ca, and alk every other week until I get stable results for a few months and then will switch to monthly testing.

thegrun
05/17/2017, 09:03 AM
Great advice Ron. I still like to test weekly, it gives me a good chance of finding a problem and correcting it before it becomes a disaster. You see occasional posts where and established tank crashes due to unnoticed equipment malfunctions, many of which could have been prevented had the tank's parameters been tested prior to the crash.

cincyjim
05/17/2017, 09:10 AM
Weekly and I test Alk, Calc, Mag, Phosphates, and Salinity.

AshikurAB
05/18/2017, 12:33 AM
I test once per month.

MiddletoM
05/18/2017, 06:32 AM
alk and ca about twice weekly.
Mag monthly
Phos monthly
nitrate never unless something isn't right
ammonia never unless something isn't right
nitrite never unless something isn't right

Reefiez
05/18/2017, 03:29 PM
the more in-tune you are with your tank, the less you need to test.

alk,ca,mg twice a week (still figuring out my dosing)
salinity twice a week
phos/nitrate/pH once a week (holding steady at near undetectable levels)
ammonia never (after the first month)
nitrite never (only during cycling as a measure of cycling progress, and nitrite toxicity is negligible in the reef tank)
i also check at the temperature everytime i pass the tank

Tspors58
05/18/2017, 06:27 PM
Testing can get people in trouble. As stated above, I also have 210g and bigger is better in this case,,,,regarding stability. I have about 20 years in this. 80g to 150, now 210g. I never tested during a cycle, some live rock and 2 months you need your CUC 2 months later fish. I test about once a year, maybe and only the basics. Most stay stable with schedule water changes. I watched someone distroy a tank from "tinkering" to test and make alterations. Small tanks are susceptible to swings. So yea once a year here.

PirateToast
05/18/2017, 07:53 PM
I never test. I check the temperature whenever I feed and salinity maybe once a month. Nothing else.