PDA

View Full Version : Pagoda advice

Elricsfate
05/18/2017, 09:37 AM
Yesterday I received a Pagoda Cup coral from LA. I really like the way this thing looks! Very cool. But I have a question.

Right now it's pretty much a 4-5 inch flat disk. My understanding is that it should grow into something resembling a vase. I'm asking because I want to try to place it in a more or less permanent place, and understanding how it's going to grow will help me choose that placement.

I have also read conflicting reports on the amount of light these things like. Some say low-mid, some say mid-high.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Optionman
05/18/2017, 12:17 PM
I have a large Pagoda Cup that started off as a 5 inch plate and has grown in a year to an 8 inch bowl. I have it very high up and give it strong flow across the top.

After & before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elricsfate
05/18/2017, 01:29 PM
I have a large Pagoda Cup that started off as a 5 inch plate and has grown in a year to an 8 inch bowl. I have it very high up and give it strong flow across the top.

After & before

Very cool. It appears to have a bit of a "stalk" to it, does that grow as well? In other words, will this thing become one of those very tall, very large corals like some of the big leathers?

I have read that lower placement will cause them to spread more horizontally in order to capture more light, while higher placement will cause more vertical growth. I'm going to put it up top I think. I really want a large, tall, centerpiece. This looks like a good candidate for that.

One last dumb question. I am assuming that each of these polyps are just orifices of the same animal. In other words, food consumed by any of them benefit the whole, correct? As opposed to taking pains to insure each polyp is fed.

Optionman
05/18/2017, 01:46 PM
The white "stalk" on mine is more like a foot. It's grown a little and attached to rock I placed it on. I don't target feed but do feed entire tank with reef roofs 1 or 2x weekly. The Pagoda won't grow tall like other leathers but will look weird occasionally (polyps remain closed). I have Xenia encroaching near mine but it doesn't seem to mind.