PDA

View Full Version : What hanging steel wires to buy?

miserkris
05/19/2017, 12:43 PM
My retro is arriving Sat.<br />
This is how my current setup hangs from basement ceiling.<br />
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/129b4b1c3f39f968fb10dac3fcf13e8d.jpg<br />
I wanna hang my2 retro t5, this current photon 48, from a closet maid rack...So i can move things around as needed.<br />
<br />
How to hang the rack from the chain links/hook up top?<br />
<br />
I should be able to adjust rack's height easily....<br />
<br />
I don't know what it's called,a steel wire with adjustable screwed holders.<br />
Shall I use those, where can I get them?<br />
Will these work?<br />
Loghot Wire-steel Art Hanging System Photo Display Kit Wire Exhibition Picture Frame Hanging Rope (1 Mounting Hook+1 Adjustable Hanging Hook, 1M Steel Wire Rope) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3RZJRX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pCMhzb12ZYBW4<br />
Thanks

snulma1
05/20/2017, 04:07 PM
I would recommend going to home depot and picking up aircraft cable in the rope aisle.
Get the ones that are coated in epoxy to decrease risk of salt water damage.
While their you can pick up the eye hooks and rings to attach the cables.

My recommendation would be to make the cables equal, but slightly shorter than needed and use a few chain links for the remainder, sometimes getting the right size will be difficult due to the clamp attachment

miserkris
05/20/2017, 04:08 PM
I would recommend going to home depot and picking up aircraft cable in the rope aisle.
Get the ones that are coated in epoxy to decrease risk of salt water damage.
While their you can pick up the eye hooks and rings to attach the cables.

My recommendation would be to make the cables equal, but slightly shorter than needed and use a few chain links for the remainder, sometimes getting the right size will be difficult due to the clamp attachment
Awesome thx....

Have you done a retro t5 yourself before ?

miserkris
05/20/2017, 09:44 PM
Pls close I'm clear now

bhbell
05/22/2017, 07:48 PM
You may want to look at a bike hanger or kayak hanger. It isn't wire, it's a rope system, but the pulley systems and so forth are included.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

GillsGoneWild
05/25/2017, 09:51 PM
The wire rope that is sold in the hardware store is probably overkill for the weight that it needs to hold. My go-to cable for most hanging purposes is found in the fishing department: 480# 49-strand stainless wire leader. It's the same stuff I use when rigging up my wahoo trolling lures and also for big sharks. It's much smaller in diameter than what most hardware stores sell, and the crimping sleeves can be worked with hand tools in most cases eliminating the need for bulky connectors usually used with wire rope.