PDA

View Full Version : Where to get short body bulkhead

Blu3s94
05/19/2017, 09:06 PM
I ordered (2) 1 1/2" short body bulkheads to minimize the space taken up behind the tank up against the wall. (Drilled my back glass)

I am looking for 3/4" short body bulkheads for my return.
Threaded on wetside for locline and slip on dry side. I can't find them anywhere...??!!

Also my 1 1/2" bulkheads I ordered are slip x slip. Will 90s fit on bothsides of bulkhead or do I need to order some special 90s? I need a 90 on dry side to go straight down to sump and a 90 on Wetside to do a herbie style overflow...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vinny Kreyling
05/20/2017, 08:05 AM
Don't know if they have them but try here:
https://flexpvc.com/Products/Wyes.shtml

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 09:12 AM
I would not use short bulkheads for pressure applications as the glueing 'shoulder' is quite shallow. I always use regular bulkheads with street elbows to reduce the extent to which they protrude out of the back. Short bulkheads are ok for no pressure drains, just make sure you support the pipes to reduce stress on the fitting.

Blu3s94
05/20/2017, 11:32 AM
I would not use short bulkheads for pressure applications as the glueing 'shoulder' is quite shallow. I always use regular bulkheads with street elbows to reduce the extent to which they protrude out of the back. Short bulkheads are ok for no pressure drains, just make sure you support the pipes to reduce stress on the fitting.
My holes are centered up top on 125 gallon. 1 1/2" drains. If I support the drain will it be Ok?

Lsufan
05/20/2017, 05:56 PM
U really need to support the plumbing anyways, but I don't think u will have a issue with the short bulkheads on your drains. They have around 3/4" of pvc that will glue into the bulkhead which is the same as dwv pvc drain pipe.

Personally I would use them on a return if I had to for whatever reason. Most systems don't really have much pressure at all, even on the returns. I probably wouldn't use them unless I had too though & probably wouldn't on a very large system with a bunch of flow.

In your case I really don't see a point in using them on your returns. A regular 3/4" bulkhead won't stick out any further then the short 1.5" bulkheads. So if u use a normal bulkhead on the return u won't need to have the tank any further away from the wall.

As far as the 90's, use street 90's & it will save u some space. Especially on the 1.5" drains. One end will slide into the bulkhead so there is no need for a small section of pvc to connect to the bulkhead.

Lsufan
05/20/2017, 07:24 PM
Also, I wasn't disagreeing with calore because what he said is true. They aren't rated for pressure applications, but neither is abs which is what the bulkheads are made of unless u get schedule 80 bulkheads. I was just saying that most systems don't really have the pressure to where they need pressure rated plumbing.

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 07:35 PM
Yeah, shorties are fine in the drains, in fact I often use the DWV fittings for drains. They also have shallow glueing faces, but the elbows are more curved. YMMV.

Blu3s94
05/21/2017, 07:10 AM
U really need to support the plumbing anyways, but I don't think u will have a issue with the short bulkheads on your drains. They have around 3/4" of pvc that will glue into the bulkhead which is the same as dwv pvc drain pipe.

Personally I would use them on a return if I had to for whatever reason. Most systems don't really have much pressure at all, even on the returns. I probably wouldn't use them unless I had too though & probably wouldn't on a very large system with a bunch of flow.

In your case I really don't see a point in using them on your returns. A regular 3/4" bulkhead won't stick out any further then the short 1.5" bulkheads. So if u use a normal bulkhead on the return u won't need to have the tank any further away from the wall.

As far as the 90's, use street 90's & it will save u some space. Especially on the 1.5" drains. One end will slide into the bulkhead so there is no need for a small section of pvc to connect to the bulkhead.
Ok I will support the plumbing. I went ahead and got regular bulkheads for the return. And that was exactly what I needed to know if I needed a short peace to elbow or just elbow. Thank you!

Lsufan
05/21/2017, 02:47 PM
They shouldn't stick out any further then the 1.5" short bulkheads. I don't think they make the short bulkheads in anything smaller then 1.5" anyways.