PDA

View Full Version : Sump plumbing and drilling

ChrisEnglish90
05/21/2017, 12:10 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to sumps and in general saltwater. I'm wondering if someone could advise me here.

I currently have an empty 320 litre tank so drilling at this time is best I get that. But where would be best to drill the hole? What sort of drain would be best? I don't feel comfortable drilling the bottom of the tank,I think I'd opt for the overflow with bulkhead? Like on the waterline... this would skim the surface too? So what's the best setup? Never had a sump set up nor a saltwater tank. If someone could point me to a simple setup and maybe tutorial on plumbing it?
Also what size sump would be suitable for my 300 litre tank?

Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

billdogg
05/21/2017, 02:25 PM
There are many alternatives for overflow placement. For my 120g DT, I placed the internal overflow right in the middle back. The closest you should drill a hole to any edge is one hole diameter away.

As for sump - you will never regret going as large as you have room for. More space for all the unsightly junk and a larger water volume which equals more stability to the system.

I use a 40g for the sump on the DT. For my 60g Frag tank, I use a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank.

ChrisEnglish90
05/21/2017, 02:28 PM
My issue with a sump is having to remake the stand as it doesn't have much space under it atm. For ease I really want to use the pvc overflow, would be suitable still ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lsufan
05/21/2017, 02:56 PM
U can't get any better then a beananimal drain setup. He has a website u can look up that has the details with some pictures. For a very detailed explanation u can search on this site for a thread called (silent & failsafe overflow). It's a very long thread but most of everything is explained real well in the first couple pages. I know I wouldn't setup a tank without it but some people may not have the option for whatever reason