PDA

View Full Version : Insulating Properties of Acrylic

ca1ore
05/21/2017, 09:32 PM
I've noted proponents of acrylic tanks extolling the insulating properties versus glass tanks. I've always had glass tanks, but my next one will be acrylic. Curious from folks that have owned both, will there be any practical differences? It going to be a big tank so surface to volume ratio means it'll warm up slower, but also cool down slower. Will acrylic versus glass make this process even slower? Or is it a distinction without a difference?

mcgyvr
05/22/2017, 05:42 AM
Glass is roughly 5 times as thermally conductive as acrylic..

The difference in energy required should not be that much different though unless you have a top on this tank. Most of the heat loss will be from evaporation/open top/surface than though the walls of the tank..

jda
05/22/2017, 08:44 AM
None of it is even close to the power of evaporation. I ran the numbers once probably a decade ago and it was a rounding error compared to heat loss through the overflows and sumps.

ca1ore
05/22/2017, 11:41 AM
Right chaps, thanks; rather as I suspected, a distinction without a difference.

jda
05/22/2017, 04:15 PM
Somebody back in the day used to advertise that the acrylic is bulletproof... maybe Tene- cor? Yet another useful "feature" if you want to take target practice with your tank as a backstop.