PDA

View Full Version : Fish keep dieing

Jamesf1988
05/21/2017, 11:07 PM
Hello,
I'm not even sure if is where I post this if not plz refer me,but anyway I have a 30 gal long reef tank that has been up for about 3 months now I have the regular cleanup crew in with a orange spotted goby and a star blenny in that have been in it for about two months.well the problem is I added a clown fish when I got the goby andand the clown lasted about two weeks found him stuck in overflow box, but then I added a coral beauty that one lasted about two days, the a yellow longboard he lasted two figured I wasn't acclimated correctly so then I got a sailfin tang I thought my tank was to small but LFS said it was fine I acclimated correctly and he only lasted two days. Now mind you nothing else in tank has died I also have a frogspawn in there to which only opens to about 80 percent during day.before adding anymore fish ide like to know what I'm doing wrong,oh and all parameters are OK checked with my test kits along with two other LFS.any ideas

Swayze27
05/22/2017, 05:29 AM
What are your parameters? Are there signs of ammonia or nitrite? Tank is still young and may still be cycling. Definitely do not add another tang or angel to that small of a tank. Your lfs should be more responsible than that. Check your parameters and make sure nothing is way off (Temp, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, etc.)

Jamesf1988
05/22/2017, 06:19 AM
Parameters are up to par there is one weird thing LFS said to raise my temps from 78 to 80 to 82 seems high

Swayze27
05/22/2017, 07:15 AM
I run my tank 78-80. Just take it slow. If the fish came from the same source maybe they were sick when you got them. I would not add anything else until you double check parameters and test for ammonia. Make sure your heater is functioning well done stick on and off causing temp spikes and swings.

Jamesf1988
05/22/2017, 09:04 AM
OK it's just frustrating watching everything else live but then add something and it dies, I basically am planning to have mainly coral in it with a few fish plus I am going to be upgrading to 125 gallon but hit this snag

scooter31707
05/22/2017, 11:44 AM
And yes a Sailfin is too big for your tank

Lsufan
05/22/2017, 08:55 PM
I would highly recommend qting all new fish. U may have already introduced something to the system & the fish that are in the tank can just handle it better. The new fish are stressed & that is when disease is fatal.

I'm not saying that is definitely your issue, but it sounds like u didn't qt so it is highly likely. It definitely isn't because u run your tank at 78 degrees

Jamesf1988
05/22/2017, 09:15 PM
Alright what do u recommend on how I take care of it plus would adding coral be ok or just wait till I figure it out

Jamesf1988
05/22/2017, 09:16 PM
I'm hoping not having to take apart the whole system

Swayze27
05/23/2017, 04:44 AM
Can you post your parameters (what they actually are not what we want them to be)? Have you done anything, added anything since the initial fish were added? What did you do to cycle your tank. Can you post pics of your setup? What kind of water are you using to top off. Have you added any meds? What kind of water movement do you have? Is there surface aeration for gas exchange? What do you feed and how often? Give us more details about your entire setup and maybe we can help you get to the bottom of this issue.