PDA

View Full Version : Flame angel and coral

Jpcrash1
05/22/2017, 04:36 PM
Has anyone had problems with this fish and coral. I was thinking of buying one.

NewOne81
05/22/2017, 04:47 PM
Great fish. Mine is always out and active but it does nip at my sps.

carrots
05/22/2017, 08:02 PM
I'm 0 for 3. They all picked at LPS and SPS and clam. For me never again. I do see people that have them in reefs without problems so if you like the fish roll the dice. Good luck

ca1ore
05/22/2017, 08:46 PM
With enough time and opportunity they almost all pick at corals - thus the 'with caution' designation.

nereefpat
05/23/2017, 07:55 AM
I just removed on from my 125. After 4 years of good behavior, it started picking on duncans, candycanes, and acans.

scooter31707
05/23/2017, 09:51 AM
It can be hit or miss with them. I had 2 of each and I had 1 Flame and 1 CB nip at corals.

hartin461
05/23/2017, 10:13 AM
Mine does but not to the point of killing a coral. Had a wall hammer that started to recede and the flame really picked at that one. If something happens to this one I would not replace.

norfolkgarden
05/24/2017, 10:58 AM
lol, don't do it. 3 for 3. love LPS, zoas, and bird's nest. Only the mushrooms are safe

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

brett559
05/24/2017, 11:55 AM
My LFS has placed hundreds of flame angels in reef tanks over a 30 year period. According to him, they almost always develop a taste for fleshy stuff like acans and brains. So if his customer wants a flame angel, he'll either remove or not add those types of corals.

I had a flame in my prior tank that didn't nip, but I didn't have any real fleshy LPS.

dj98ram
05/24/2017, 12:07 PM
Mine decided it liked the taste of zoa's after months of not bothering them. Probably not worth it in the long run.

jda
05/24/2017, 05:50 PM
I have found them to like fleshy stuff more than SPS polyps, but they never touch zoas but will occasionally get after slime on a clam and really irritate the clam a lot. I have had good luck with them, but I have seen them nip and I just tolerate it since they never did any huge damage.

If you need perfectly safe angelfish, then get a Genicanthus.

OrionN
05/27/2017, 06:34 AM
I just have SPS and anemones. I never have any problem with Flame, Flameback, Fireball or Cherub angels. My SPS and Clams Grown like gang busters. It is true that they take nip here and there, I do rarely see it. This does not cause problem for my SPS. Their courtship and spawn are very interesting to watch.

For each reefer, the degree of tolerance toward orcasiona nip is different. As long as my SPS are healthy and growing, I could not care less. I had some Red Bud in some of my SPS which have since go away without treatment. I think my angles and Leopard wrasses are responsible. Sometime seeing the fish nip at corals my be because they picks parasites off of the corals.
I one angel that I always have problem with, 0/3, is the C. nox. A very beautiful, strikingly graceful fish, always go for my SPS as soon as she is our of the bag.
I never interested in any other dwarf angels so I do not have experiences with them.