PDA

View Full Version : Ready to smash my apex with a hammer...

mrsixstrings12
05/22/2017, 06:25 PM
So I recently moved my 120g from my parents to my house. It's been a year since i REALLY took care of my fish tank so I'm doing a little catch up on maintenance and whatnot. So of course, Neptune has some new firmware for the Apex classic since I last updated about 2ish years ago. But of course, like when I first bought the apex, I'm having the WORST time trying to update it. I spent all of yesterday and all of this evening when I got home from work trying to update it and I've run out of ideas.

I have done everything to the T on the instructions. I've read a countless number of threads on here, other reef forums, and the neptune forums. I've tried with the apex direct to my router using my mac, the apex direct to my router using windows, apex direct to my mac, and apex direct to windows. All to no prevail. I haven't used a windows computer in about 6 years so I've mainly been trying with my mac.

My first issue was the mac wasn't even recognizing the apex existed. Solved that...somehow. It eventually just started showing up. When I go to update the firmware it fails to login, does a bunch of crap, and eventually times out. A few forum threads said how EASY it is on windows. So I dug out the fiance's old laptop out of the closet.

Start all over; apex direct to router. Follow the directions on the site. Apex is recognized instantly. Yes! Click update firmware and it starts going along. Or so it seems. Eventually it starts saying retry attempt: xx and the next line says something about ARP xxx.xxx.x.xxx. It seems to just retry infinitely from there. It went to about attempt 34 before I stopped it. And it did that multiple times.

So, I dobule check everything. Everything is plugged in, aquabus shows both orange and green lights. IP addresses match. The submask (i think? the 255.255.255.0) is correct. I don't know what else to try. I remember having a heck of a time getting it setup at my parent's house and I dont think i ever got it running 100% cause I remember programming everything through the physical controller and not on fusion. PLEASE HELP!!!

scuzy
05/22/2017, 06:36 PM
Are you updating through wire connection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrsixstrings12
05/22/2017, 06:55 PM
yes. The apex is connected, by ethernet cable, to router. The laptops are also connected, by ethernet cable, to router.

vhuang168
05/22/2017, 07:06 PM
How old is the Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy
05/22/2017, 07:07 PM
Wait this is being updated through fusion? Never tried it for classic always used the update app for the classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vhuang168
05/22/2017, 07:12 PM
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?18959-Apex-Classic-Firmware-version-4-52_5A17-is-now-available

Scroll to the end

mrsixstrings12
05/22/2017, 07:41 PM
I'm using the apex firmware software. I have tried both the new software and the old software. I'll try uninstalling the old software like it says. The mac is 6 years old and running Yosemite. The PC I was using runs windows 7

Fringe09
05/22/2017, 08:38 PM
Someone else was also struggling and found out that El Capitan version of Mac OS is needed.