PDA

View Full Version : Best BioCube for College?

blackbeard88
05/23/2017, 10:46 AM
Hello. I've posted about this before but was told to check out the nano reef section on here. I'm wondering what would be the best college tank kit for a starter? I was thinking maybe a 30-40 gallon and here's what I could find...

http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_Size_32_LED_BioCube_Aquarium_p/RES15662.htm?gclid=CP79kOHIhNQCFYU8gQodkR0DiA

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=35051&cmpid=03cseYY&ref=6194&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6194&gclid=COqcgOjP_dMCFdaCswodCW4PKg

Are these good? If not, any suggestions on what would be better for a beginner?

twitchy
05/23/2017, 11:15 AM
I am setting up an IM lagoon 25 now, and I love it. It's a rimless all in one similar to the jbj you posted.

I ran a 20 long (~25 gallon system) in college as my first tank, and I thought the size was perfect for an apartment, big enough that the swings weren't too bad, but small enough that I didn't have to haul too much water up stairs.
Good luck 👍

LedZep fan2
05/23/2017, 11:42 AM
I personally have the IM 10 and love it. I am currently a graduate student and it is the perfect size for the limited space I have. Great quality and an AIO setup makes things easy. The only issue with rimless setups is the evaporation so an ATO would be my recommendation.

blackbeard88
05/23/2017, 02:45 PM
I'm gonna have to keep a lid on it because my roommate has a cat that sheds like crazy. I'll probably choose the 1st option I put because of that. I see on the website that I should add a few things such as a skimmer, UV Sterilizer, etc. Any suggestions for that kind of stuff?

neck
05/23/2017, 02:49 PM
Check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXoCSxSbh2d5DAlA5FiyuOQ

He actually gives some pretty good recommendations for salt water setups in the dorms.

D_Nyholm
05/23/2017, 04:06 PM
I have a jbj 28 and really like it. Definitely get the pro hood though as the intermediate is just enough to grow soft corals. Even stuff like green star polyps need to be higher up than the sand as there isn't enough light down there.

You can fit a ghost desktop skimmer in the center chamber if you decide you want a skimmer but I haven't used a skimmer and just do weekly (sometimes biweekly) 5 gallon water changes with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

blackbeard88
05/23/2017, 04:20 PM
I'm actually subscribed to him because I feel he mainly directs his channel towards beginners in the hobby.

blackbeard88
05/23/2017, 06:52 PM
I am setting up an IM lagoon 25 now, and I love it. It's a rimless all in one similar to the jbj you posted.

I ran a 20 long (~25 gallon system) in college as my first tank, and I thought the size was perfect for an apartment, big enough that the swings weren't too bad, but small enough that I didn't have to haul too much water up stairs.
Good luck 👍

I looked up this aquarium and I actually like it more than the ones I found. Have you added anything to it as far as the equipment goes?

twitchy
05/24/2017, 03:29 AM
I looked up this aquarium and I actually like it more than the ones I found. Have you added anything to it as far as the equipment goes?
I'm still just getting started on mine, equipment so far:

Ikea kitchen cabinet stand
ViaAqua titanium heater 50w
2x korala nano power heads
2x printed filter floss holder
Ecopico led strips (temporary)
DIY auto top off system

Will be getting:
New return pump, the stock one isn't very good, when I get a new pump I think I will remove one of the power heads

AI prime hd light
Media reactor or DIY media rack.

The filter socks the tank comes with are cool, but they are kinda hard to clean IMO.
you can buy filter floss holders for these tanks, or if you have or have access to a 3d printer (some colleges have clubs) I can give you the plans.

I also have a build thread going onhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/00b283269a0668d1ba5e9d88f09b565e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/a22474978e434d6feb865f76dde0e337.jpg

Nickmcc
05/24/2017, 03:38 AM
Go with any of the innovative marine tanks. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickmcc
05/24/2017, 03:39 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/b79a0416ac41d4e84200d489232927d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homer1475
05/24/2017, 03:53 AM
For someone on a budget in college, biocube all day long.

Other then powerheads everything is included. The lights are more then enough for most LPS and softies, and as you mentioned your roomie has a cat so the hood would help with that.

While I personally love the rimless look of the JBJ tanks, being in college and having friends over, you never know what might accidentally end up in the tank. So a hood or lid is a must. While you can add glass tops or whatnot to a rimless tank, most would advise against it as you are limiting the amount of gas exchange and after a while salt creep will build up on the glass lids decreasing the amount of light making it into the tank.

ReefWreak
05/24/2017, 11:56 AM
I agree with homer, and add an alternative.

I would recommend buying a 20 long, as it's an inexpensive and simple tank. It doesn't have a lid, but you can make one or buy one. It'll be more flexible, and cheaper, as you eventually decide to upgrade this or that. I'd even recommend a 40 gallon breeder, since a slightly larger tank will be more forgiving, and you could take the equipment with you to a larger tank if you decide to do that in the future.

I had a 24g biocube in college, and it was fun while it lasted, and I learned the hobby with that. Then I moved to a 120g tank, and that's when the fun really started.

Indiana Reefin
05/24/2017, 12:28 PM
I have the cadlights mini II and I love it. Great size tank for limited space. I have one in my office at work and it is perfect. I know cadlights gets a bad rep sometimes, but bottom line is their star fire curved glass is awesome. I really enjoy the curved glass. It makes the tank look so much bigger.

aznflyfisherman
05/24/2017, 02:21 PM
If you need a lid on it, i say the biocube 14 would be best...

Fish_wiz2
05/24/2017, 03:49 PM
Are you in a dorm or apartment/house?

Regardless, I find anything over 15 gallons is too much to handle if you have to constantly move it back and fourth. An apartment fixes this issue but for breaks, it can be an issue making sure the tank is ready to coast for that time.

Personal preference, biocube 8gal if you can even still find them.

blackbeard88
05/25/2017, 06:37 AM
I'll be living in a house. The thing is, I can't have a big tank because the house isn't sitting on the ground. I would love to go larger if i could, but if I put a large tank in there, it would end up under the house.

ReefWreak
05/25/2017, 09:32 AM
There's a lot of good info in the DIY forum on how to place a tank on a floor you may not necessarily trust, and how to evaluate flooring (if you can see underneath, to see the joists). Lots of info to learn about.

If you're worried, you can just take two people, stand close together, and see how much flex you get in the floor. A gallon of seawater is about 8.6lb, so a 29g tank (22g or so of actual water) is going to be somewhere in the range of 200lbs (190 + whatever the weight of rocks/sand), which isn't all that much, that's just one football player worth of weight.

A 50 gallon tank is probably going to be 40 gallons or less range of water, will still only be about 350lbs fully loaded with rock and sand, which is a football player worth of weight. The two-person test is probably a pretty close approximation of weight (maybe after the freshmen weight gain; zomgz we ate so much midnight or later pizza and beer...).

The best bet would be if you can poke your head under the house, shine a flashlight, and see how the floor is supported, then look it up on Reefcentral DIY forum and see what the weight recommendations are. Realistically, you probably won't have a problem with any tank under 100 gallons. That's when people start to get nervous. But a moderate size tank should be fine, especially if you place it perpendicularly across a few beams.

blackbeard88
05/25/2017, 07:37 PM
I do thank you for the advice on checking the floor, it's just not only the floor that would cause problems. I would have no room for it except in the office we would have. Even then, there's not much room in there. It probably go with the Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon. I'll still check the floor weight and see if I can change it to the 50 gallon. I've been looking and I've seen some images and videos of soft coral tanks. Could I possibly try some soft corals as a beginner to the hobby? Or should I stay away from corals to for now?

LedZep fan2
05/25/2017, 07:52 PM
Soft corals are all fairly easy to care for. You should be able to leave the tank on breaks without any worries. I say give it a try once the tank has matured some :)

twitchy
05/25/2017, 07:54 PM
^this, keep up with your water changes, get an auto top off and you'll be set

blackbeard88
05/27/2017, 07:13 PM
If I do add corals, I'm gonna add them slowly. Maybe starting with Green Star Polyp. I'm gonna try to create it's own island so it doesn't spread everywhere and overrun my tank.