PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing a tank and sump, a few questions.

TankJanitor
05/26/2017, 09:38 AM
After a ten year hiatus, I decided to return to the hobby. Previously I used canister filters to run my tanks, I've decided this time around to do a sump. I am planning on using an Eshopps Eclipse overflow, and I'm still thinking about how to do the return.

Despite all of the research and reading I've done, I still have a handful of questions.

1. When attaching the drain pipes to an overflow, what do you prefer? Threaded, glued in slip fitting, or just push the pipe into the slip fitting? Best practices for your favored approach? I have the same questions for the return line.

2. On the return side, I like the look of going through the back glass. Is loc-line still the most favor fitting or is their another product or method that you prefer?

3. I'm planning on putting the overflow in the center of the back wall of the tank (30 gallon, 36x12x16), putting in one return line through the back to the left of overflow, and putting a wave maker on the end opposite the return. Would the tank and its inhabitants be better served if I used two returns, one on either side of the overflow? Or would it better to put the overflow closer to the end opposite of the return line?

Thanks. :)

billdogg
05/26/2017, 10:21 AM
after a ten year hiatus, i decided to return to the hobby. Previously i used canister filters to run my tanks, i've decided this time around to do a sump. I am planning on using an eshopps eclipse overflow, and i'm still thinking about how to do the return.

Despite all of the research and reading i've done, i still have a handful of questions.

1. When attaching the drain pipes to an overflow, what do you prefer? Threaded, glued in slip fitting, or just push the pipe into the slip fitting? Best practices for your favored approach? I have the same questions for the return line.

i prefer threaded bulkheads so that if needed, they can be taken apart. I bead of ptfe plumbers paste (teflon paste) around the male part will spread around nicely as you screw the pieces together. I have yet to have a leak when using this method. If you use slip, you will have to use cement (primer not needed imo) and that will make it a one and done situation. If there is a leak, you will need to replace the bulkheads too.

2. On the return side, i like the look of going through the back glass. Is loc-line still the most favor fitting or is their another product or method that you prefer?

loc-line will work but can greatly reduce flow. A simple piece of pvc, heated and pinched if you want to spread it out some, will work much better.

3. I'm planning on putting the overflow in the center of the back wall of the tank (30 gallon, 36x12x16), putting in one return line through the back to the left of overflow, and putting a wave maker on the end opposite the return. Would the tank and its inhabitants be better served if i used two returns, one on either side of the overflow? Or would it better to put the overflow closer to the end opposite of the return line?

your plan is pretty much how i have my 120dt set up. It works jsut fine. A second return line just complicates things. The majority of your flow should come from power heads in any case.

thanks. :)

hth

TankJanitor
05/26/2017, 12:30 PM
billdogg, is there any concern regarding PTFE leaching into the tank from the plumbers paste?

If I were to use PVC inside the tank for the return, would painting it black lead to any issues?

nereefpat
05/26/2017, 12:38 PM
PTFE (Teflon) is perfectly safe. Depending on how old your house is, it may be on your water lines.

billdogg
05/26/2017, 06:11 PM
Spray paint once dry is fine although it will eventually chip/scratch. www.savko.com and www.usplastics.com sell it in a variety of colors.

TankJanitor
05/28/2017, 05:43 AM
Thank you both. Looks like I'm headed to Savko later this week.

billdogg
05/28/2017, 06:45 AM
I didn't realize you were local. Savko is my go-to for weird plumbing parts. I've been known to show up with a handful of pieces that just won't quite go together and have them help me figure things out. Great folks IMO.