PDA

View Full Version : Uronema - 6 months no symptoms. What next?

Zalick
05/27/2017, 09:14 AM
I lost a few lyretail anthia in QT to what I suspect was uronema. I did not observe under microscope.

I've had the lone survivor in the QT for the last 6 months and its never shown any signs or symptoms. I have not treated the QT with CP. Just Prazi.

My question is: Am I safe to do a single Formalin dip for ~60 mins, transfer to a fresh bucket of SW and observe for say another day, then transfer my DT? Or maybe even just dip then straight to DT?

I'm trying to figure out a safe way to move this guy to the DT, but I'm afraid of infecting all my old fish...

sensei
05/28/2017, 08:46 AM
Hello Zalick,

I had the same doubts as you with the only lyretail that survived the Uronema outbreak in my qt tank. I did not want to risk it so I did the full protocol for Uronema.
I am not sure anybody can answer the question you have. I think it is better to play safe and do the full protocol since the fish seems to be inmune , so 6 months may not warranty he is not a carrier IMO.

Zalick
05/28/2017, 10:59 AM
Hello Zalick,

I had the same doubts as you with the only lyretail that survived the Uronema outbreak in my qt tank. I did not want to risk it so I did the full protocol for Uronema.
I am not sure anybody can answer the question you have. I think it is better to play safe and do the full protocol since the fish seems to be inmune , so 6 months may not warranty he is not a carrier IMO.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be a "relatively" safe calculated decision, knowing the risks, to do a 60 min formalin bath, and then to the DT?

sensei
05/28/2017, 11:20 AM
I think doing the full formalin protocol is the safest you can go.
I do not think one bath will kill the disease, becuase if that would be the case why would snorvick give the long formalin protocol for Uronema infested fish.

scooter31707
06/02/2017, 12:47 PM
Question I have were the died anthias in the same QT with the current fish. If so, did you clean the tank? If your answer is yes, then I think you will be fine with a 50 min Formalin bath and into the DT.

Zalick
06/05/2017, 12:14 AM
Question I have were the died anthias in the same QT with the current fish. If so, did you clean the tank? If your answer is yes, then I think you will be fine with a 50 min Formalin bath and into the DT.

I did not clean the tank. Just left it running the same. In hindsight, I should have moved it to a sterile QT tank...

I was gone for the last 4 days with someone feeding the tank. Came home and it looks like this guy has uronema now! I'm sure glad I didn't hastily put him in the DT last week.

So it does appear that if a fish is in a tank that had uronema, and doesn't show symptoms for 6 months, it can still fall ill.

I doubt this guy will make it but starting formalin and CP protocol now.

Zalick
06/05/2017, 08:05 AM
Well I dosed ~4.5ml of formalin 37% in to the 20g QT last night at midnight. At 6am, just 6 hours later, the anthia looks perfectly healthy, swimming around and eating. Last night it was listing on the bottom with splotchy light patches over its body.