PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions about oversized skimmers & general advice for upcoming build!

Pwnm30rdi3
05/27/2017, 08:42 PM
Hey everyone! I have decided to re-enter the nano world once again after just tearing down my 90 gallon display, 55 gallon refugium, and 25 gallon sump (only ever had about 15 gallons of actual water in the sump). My 15" (diameter) ritteri anemone climbed into the overflow and died while I was on vacation, crashing the tank. So I am starting something that will be less of a head ache and more manageable. Especially because I may be moving in the next 12-24 months.

I have some left over parts from my last reef tank, such as my skimmer, the Vertex IN-180. Which was rated by Vertex for up to 180 gallons, I found it kept up quite well with my 160 gallons of total water capacity. I don't think I would have used this skimmer on anything larger than 160 gallons though, especially if heavily stocked.

How many of you think it will be okay to run this skimmer on my next nano build?
I am planning on building a 42" x 14" x 14" custom acrylic tank that should be right around 35 gallons.
I will be reusing the sump from my last set-up, which should yield me around 50 gallons of total system water capacity.
Will this skimmer be too much for 50 gallons, will I have troubles building skimmate?

Second question, will an*MP40wQD be overkill for this tank? The only reason I ask is because the acrylic will have to be 3/4" thick in order to be rimless.

Pwnm30rdi3
05/28/2017, 08:23 AM
I imagine I would have to turn the MP40 down quite a bit, will the wave/ reefcrest functions still work well when the pump is turned down so far?

Razorback reef
05/30/2017, 11:46 PM
Your skimmer is only going to operate within a specified flow range. No way to know for certain without trying it.

homer1475
05/31/2017, 07:04 AM
More then likely with an oversized skimmer thats designed for a tank thats about 150G more then you will have, will not perform very well. it will go through spurts of over skimming and over flowing the collection cup, to times when it will not work at all(no head of foam).

With a nano tank of that size, you could probably get away with no skimmer and large (20% or more) water changes weekly.

The mp40 might work or it might blow the tank apart! Only way to know that one is try it. Just remember that no matter how you set it up(apex or standalone controller) they will not go below 30%(feed mode). Even at that low setting your still pushing over 1K GPH.

I would think 2 mp10's might be better, but you'll never know until you try.