PDA

View Full Version : Help please - Quarantine - ammonia, Amquel & ATM colony

Nick_Northern
05/28/2017, 12:36 AM
Hi all,

So my 24x12x15 QT tank has been up and running for several months now with a small power filter, gravel bed and several chunks of live rock (i'm not intending to medicate).

I picked up a captive bred flame angel last weekend, with the intention of growing it on for a while before I attempt introduction to the captive bred coral beauty in my DT, as it turns out now the fish is in the QT it appears to be cycling again (seemingly I have not been adding food reguarly enough to keep the bacteria up).

I have been adding Amquel plus to reduce the toxicity and did 2 x 40% water changes yesterday before adding a 16oz bottle of ATM Colony. I know some people call this snake oil whilst others swear by it so I thought it had to be worth a go.

So my question is what should I do next? The way I see it I have the following options:

- Keep the fish in QT, let the Colony and latent bacteria in the filter/rock/sand establish a functional biofilter whilst adding Amquel+ each day to neutralise ammonia, I will also buffer the pH as Amquel appears to be lowering it. From what I understand amquel+ won't mess with the cycle but i'm not sure how long it takes to wear off so seems like there would be a risk of exposing the fish to ammonia between doses.

- Remove fish and place in a fish trap in sump of DT them return to QT once cycled. Theres a fair bit of vibration noise from the return/skimmer, would that impact the fish at all?

- Remove fish from QT and place in unfiltered bucket, doing 100% water change daily to prevent ammonia buildup - not keen on this, seems like a lot more stress for the fish.

Readings this morning are Ammonia 0.25-0.5 (hard to tell with API) / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 10 so it appears as though some conversion is going on just not quick enough to cope with the ammonia. pH is a little low at 7.7 (due to the Amquel) but O2 etc is steady at around 75% saturation.

Thanks in advance

Nick

bertoni
05/28/2017, 06:18 AM
That's a tough situation. I'd probably keep up the large water changes and dose a lot of Amquel, personally. I'd feed the fish very lightly, if at all, and if the ammonia doesn't drop in a few days, I'd probably move the animal.

Nick_Northern
05/28/2017, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the advice, I noticed my pH was getting dangerously low (7.4), I have good oxygenation in the QT so I can only think that the Amquel was the cause, in any case I have decided that rather than fight ammonia and pH I will put the flame in a safe place in the display until the QT sorts itself out. I have drilled some holes and added some pipe elbows into a 9 litre plastic storage container which I am going to add the fish too and place in the DT, at least I'll be able to keep feeding and also gives me a chance to see how my coral beauty will react.

Do you have experience with ATM colony by any chance? I have dumped a couple of prawns in the QT so i'm hoping in a few days to a week it will have cycled, although I'm guessing the pH may inhibit progress.

Thanks

Nick

bertoni
06/01/2017, 05:58 AM
I've never used any of the bacterial supplements when starting a tank, at least as far as I can remember. I'm skeptical about their utility.

If the tank is showing ammonia, I personally don't think the prawns serve any purpose any more, and I'd remove them.