PDA

View Full Version : How to know if a Uronema inmune fish is not a carrier after treatment??

sensei
05/28/2017, 09:35 AM
I quarentined 5 lyretail anthias and 4 died of Uronema one after the other.
the one that survived looked healthy so if was inmune.
I had neved used formaline before but since it was the treatment of choice I treated this last fish according to link shown bellow.

after the treatment the fish had NO tail fin I am not sure if the 200ppm of formaline was to strong), but after 2 weeks in observation tank fin is growiing back and fish is eating and looking good.

how can I be completelly sure if fish is not a carrier of Uronema, since fish is inmune to it??

thanks a lot

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2388437

the protocol describes the following:

"Chemical Treatments - Formalin

While formalin is toxic, carcinogenic and an irritant, it is, however, one of the best treatments for Brooklynella hostilis and Uronema marinum. It can be purchased readily from your chemist and some off-the-shelf cures contain it or a related chemical (paraformaldehyde or gluteraldehyde) so a read of the labels or data sheets of some products is essential if you want to use it.

The best way to use this chemical for Brooklynella hostilis and Uronema marinum is as a formalin dip followed by a long term formalin bath (see environmental treatments).

To use it as a short dip in seawater, make up a bath in seawater at 200 to 250ppm for 1 hour. The dip component of this treatment regime should be carried out on days 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 & 11 after each dip the fish should be returned to a quarantine tank to which formalin has been added (see below).

For the long term bath component of this treatment, add 25ppm of formalin to your quarantine tank (itís toxic to some invertebrates and algae, including most coralline algae species, so cannot be used in a reef situation)

Remember liquid formalin (which is how you will get it from the chemists) is 37 to 40% formaldehyde and you want 25ppm so you need to add 0.0625ml formalin per liter rather than 0.02ml to get the correct dose."

Zalick
05/28/2017, 12:02 PM
I think you are right, that we can never truly know. I've read that uronema can be on the exterior mucosa and also internal. If its internal, formalin would not do the trick. CP supposedly could, but there are no scientific studies I found, just lots of anecdotal.

sensei
05/28/2017, 12:16 PM
Zalick,
I did 5 days of CP ( only did 5 days of CP because fish stopped eating) at max dose before I did the formalin treatment described above.
In that treatiment there is permanent 25ppm of formalin during the 11 days of treatment, and 6 formalin baths, so I think the treatmente treats Uronema in the inside and outside as well.

regards