PDA

View Full Version : Possible Velvet

yellow_tang2009
05/28/2017, 04:56 PM
I have had difficulty keeping fish alive in my 30G reef. I recently had a tank-raised ocellaris clown and a royal gramma die within 1 week of being in the tank.

All of my water parameters are on point. I have rare zoanthids, hammer coral, birds nest, leather coral, and many Inverts thriving but cannot keep fish other than this Clown Goby. He has been alone in the tank for about 4 weeks and eats well. I did however notice what may be white spots but it's hard to tell. Any thoughts?

JustinM
05/29/2017, 04:32 PM
I can't tell from the pics(using my phone and the pic won't enlarge).

Is he swimming into the flow, hiding from the light, breathing fast, how big are the spots, are there a ton of them?

Is it possible to upload a better pic?

TheJinxs
05/29/2017, 05:35 PM
I hope for your fish's sake it's not velvet. We just realized this morning we had velvet and not ich. We've lost 3 fish in as many days. We were totally unprepared for this. If it's velvet get to your LFS fast. The one closest to me was closed today so I had to take a multi hour road trip for it and by the time I got home with meds another fish had died.

A sea K
06/01/2017, 07:27 AM
Is he swimming into the flow, hiding from the light,

What would this indicate? I've lost most of my fish and these are definite symptoms they have shown.

JustinM
06/01/2017, 02:30 PM
What would this indicate? I've lost most of my fish and these are definite symptoms they have shown.

They swim into the flow because they are slowly dying of hypoxia. They are trying to force oxygen into their gills because the infestation of velvet.

The hiding from the light part, I may be wrong but this is my guess. Velvet is a dinoflagellate(some call it a hybrid between plant and animal)like the algae in our tanks. Velvet dinospores can be infective up to 15 days without a host because they use light for photosynthesis.

A sea K
06/01/2017, 04:23 PM
They swim into the flow because they are slowly dying of hypoxia. They are trying to force oxygen into their gills because the infestation of velvet.

The hiding from the light part, I may be wrong but this is my guess. Velvet is a dinoflagellate(some call it a hybrid between plant and animal)like the algae in our tanks. Velvet dinospores can be infective up to 15 days without a host because they use light for photosynthesis.

Thanks for the reply. I started a new thread with questions concerning mortality and velvet, brook, etc if you could take a look I would appreciate any info you might have to share.