PDA

View Full Version : Help! Quick Hospital Tank Setup

TheJinxs
05/29/2017, 12:35 AM
So recently I posted that we lose our beautiful puffer Tyrion to what I thought was ich. It is ich.
We have 2 tanks. Out 29g is perfectly healthy. The 55g has ich. Tyrion died in less than 3 days after shoeing symptoms and today we noticed our midnight clown and true percula have the horrible white spots all over them. So tomorrow I'm ingredients to buy what I need to set up a hospital tank.
I really need some fast help with what works best on a budget. Filters, heater, and so on. Also, what kind of treatment? I can't get cupramine or a copper medication anywhere locally so I'm thinking of hypo salinity with a freshwater dip. Clearly we are out of our depth so any help is appreciated.

AnnaCassandra
05/29/2017, 08:24 AM
Ich really shouldn't kill a fish that quickly, or at all for that matter unless it is allowed to get out of control. Have you considered that it might be something else? Velvet maybe?

TheJinxs
05/29/2017, 11:01 AM
Ich really shouldn't kill a fish that quickly, or at all for that matter unless it is allowed to get out of control. Have you considered that it might be something else? Velvet maybe?

I posted a picture and post about Tyrion the other day. It doesn't look like velvet. I even looked into the possibility that it could be brooklynella. We always watch our fish very carefully because we had an ich outbreak in our tank in June last year. Our Huma Huma trigger got it.

TheJinxs
05/29/2017, 11:18 AM
Our tang just died and she wasn't even showing symptoms. I'm getting very scared.

Dealseer
05/29/2017, 11:37 AM
Hold on. Which tank had a tang? Need a much bigger tank than a 29 or 55 for tangs.

TheJinxs
05/29/2017, 11:54 AM
It was a baby tang. She was only 3 inches. She's gone now. And it is the 55 that is infected. Our 29 is totally healthy. I need to update our tank info. We only have 2 clowns, a coral beauty, and a goby in the 55 now. Plus hermits and a skunk cleaner.

Dealseer
05/29/2017, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear.

AnnaCassandra
05/29/2017, 01:21 PM
Can you post some pictures or describe what it looks like? I think that you're dealing with something that's not ich, do some research... look into velvet, brooklynella and flukes.

Formalin will treat velvet and brooklynella though copper is apparently a better treatment option for velvet and copper will NOT treat brooklynella. Neither will treat flukes.

Prazipro will treat flukes but not velvet or brook, and none of those treatment options can be used in conjunction with each other.

So... your best bet is to figure out what is killing your fish before you start arbitrarily treating them.