PDA

View Full Version : LED and T5 combo

BD_Saltlife
05/29/2017, 08:32 PM
Hey Y'all,

I was seeking some advice. I just set up a 55g tank over the weekend. Tank came with a current orbit LED marine set. Was planning on getting coralife duel t5 HO lights along with the orbit led (combo). Planning and gold dome sps.

Currently have equipment :
Coralife super skimmer 65g
Octopus phosphate reactor MF300B
Current orbit marine LED

Life stock:
Maroone clown fish 1
Black oculus clown 1
Yellow tail damsel 1
Village damsel 1
Blue damsel 1
Royal gramma 1
Golden hammer
Frogspawn
Kenya tree
Toadstool
Blue tip hammer
Pink tip torch
Some mushrooms
BTA anenome 2
And pink tube anenome

Any thoughts as to if the the t5 and led combo would be enough for sps?

yellow_tang2009
05/31/2017, 09:40 PM
The Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LEDs are known to not be ideal for deep tanks but I think with the T5 in addition to the LED's you can grow and SPS you want. It is quite likely that the Currant Orbit alone would be enough.

More information:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2562344

Ron Reefman
06/01/2017, 04:54 AM
The Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LEDs are known to not be ideal for deep tanks but I think with the T5 in addition to the LED's you can grow and SPS you want. It is quite likely that the Currant Orbit alone would be enough.

I assume you meant to say the Current Orbit led alone over a 55g tank would NOT be enough. The 55g tank is 20 or 21" tall and the Current Orbit fixture is fine at 12" deep and shakey at 18" deep. I wouldn't use it over 18" deep tank if I wanted to keep coral.

The t5 probably would be OK and the current Orbit used for some extra is fine. It's just very weak. They use 0.3 to 0.5 watt leds which just don't penetrate water very well. Any good led fixture will use 3 or 5 watt leds.