PDA

View Full Version : Best Coral Epoxy?

hann1bal
05/31/2017, 07:44 AM
My wife and I have been having problems keeping some frags on the rock work. Especially Zoa frags.

We use "AquaStik Red Coral Epoxy by Two Little Fishies" and it seems to look OK but we literally are having Zoa's "slide" off the plug and rock.

Anyone have recommendations either on a good epoxy or glue for attaching corals. Also, do most people cut corals off frags or just epoxy the plug and all.

Exceptionrule
05/31/2017, 07:55 AM
I like ic gel. Never had an issue.

dollarPit
05/31/2017, 08:10 AM
For attaching plugs or hard corals really like the tunze coral gum and bulkreefsupply. Use it with a touch of super glue (cyanoacrylate) on the gum where you attach to coral and rock

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

hann1bal
05/31/2017, 08:18 AM
For attaching plugs or hard corals really like the tunze coral gum and bulkreefsupply. Use it with a touch of super glue (cyanoacrylate) on the gum where you attach to coral and rock

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Interesting - I never thought about using glue WITH epoxy.

hann1bal
05/31/2017, 08:19 AM
I like ic gel. Never had an issue.

IC Gel looks promising - can it be applied under water?

smatter
05/31/2017, 08:30 AM
I second the Tunze Coral Gum. It hardens fast so have a plan and work quickly, but it holds strongly and does not cause your skimmer to overflow. The epoxy/glue sandwich is my go to for tough to mount pieces.

hann1bal
05/31/2017, 08:41 AM
I second the Tunze Coral Gum. It hardens fast so have a plan and work quickly, but it holds strongly and does not cause your skimmer to overflow. The epoxy/glue sandwich is my go to for tough to mount pieces.

Aweome thanks.

What is the best practice on removing corals vs not. I'm sure it depends on the coral but is it best to just let it grow along the frag or remove it and place directly on rock?

For example I have a green Birdsnest that I have siting in the sand on a plug because I'm not sure whether to cut him off or epoxy/glue the plug.

Exceptionrule
05/31/2017, 08:43 AM
I apply it to coral OUTSIDE the tank, wait 20 seconds, then attach it to rock inside the tank. I also use it to cover unwanted xenia/kenya tree underwater.

smatter
05/31/2017, 09:14 AM
It all depends on the frag but if there isn't a nice hole in which to hide the plug I will typically cut off the stem while leaving the frag attached. I try not to disturb them too much if I don't have to.

homer1475
05/31/2017, 04:31 PM
JB water weld and super glue gel from walmart.

Reefers have been using these methods and products for years with great results. Besides it way cheaper then coral glue, and coral epoxy.

Dry your frag plug, dab of super glue, smush into blob of epoxy, super glue the bottom of the epoxy, stick to rock. The epoxy will eventually hold it to the rocks, the super glue is just for a quick hold. Put a decent blob of super glue on the epoxy as it will skin over when it touches the water. You want enough on it to break the bubble and stick it to the rock.

Reef Bass
06/01/2017, 06:50 AM
^this +1

smatter
06/01/2017, 07:59 AM
The Water Weld works ok but it makes my skimmer overflow like mad.