PDA

View Full Version : Six Line Wrasse Woes

Jon0807
06/02/2017, 06:16 AM
The six line wrasse has been one of the fishes that I've wanted for a long time. I love how they look and how active they are. So when I was finally able to get one I got excited. That is until I found my cleaner shrimp dead. It looks like it was trying to molt but something ate his head. At first I just thought he died cause he couldn't get out of his shell. But then I noticed that the stomach of the wrasse was pretty large. Like it just had a huge meal. I wasn't sure if he were the culprit or not so I didn't pay too much attention. Plus I have a peppermint shrimp that seemed nice and healthy. Fast forward a few months later, I add 5 scarlet hermit crabs to try and help with my green hair algae problem. And in just the last couple of weeks, I've found 3 of them out of their shells and it looks like their bodies have been eaten. I'm pretty sure it's the wrasse. The only other fish I have in there are 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny that is afraid of it's own shadow. And even he looks like he may have been picked on.

I've read that if the six line is in too small of a tank, they can be real a-holes.I currently have them all in a 36 gallon bowfront and I was planning on upgrading to a 75. Would that be a big enough jump or am I better off trying to trade the six line in for something else at the LFS I got him from? I'd really hate to get rid of him cause I like him so much. And I'd rather not keep him in the 36 all by himself but he has an expensive appetite.

thegrun
06/02/2017, 06:58 AM
I have to say that 6 line wrasses are also one of my favorite fish for the same reasons you gave. I have never had any luck keeping one for more than a year in a tank under 120 gallons without them going rouge and have them start killing their tank mates, sometimes fish much larger than themselves. As much as I like them I have decided not to try one I'm my 120 gallon tank, to me it just isn't worth the risk. I would say that you are taking a pretty big risk putting one in a 75 gallon tank. It may work for a year or even two, but my guess is that sooner or later it will start killing other fish. I would be almost certain you will not be able to keep shrimp with it in any sized tank, once they get a taste for shrimp placing another one in the tank with your 6 Line is just giving it a tasty meal.

WatDatThing
06/02/2017, 07:39 AM
Odd. I have a one for 4 months and it hasn't grown much. It hasn't been a problem so far. It ate all the tiny hitchhiker feather dusters but hasn't bother the large feather duster. I have one peppermint shrimp and it's still alive. Knock on wood.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

vakeros
06/02/2017, 08:01 AM
My 6 line and yellow wrasses have no problem. 6,hermit and 4 shrimp in my 50g.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

scooter31707
06/02/2017, 12:02 PM
My 6 line and yellow wrasses have no problem. 6,hermit and 4 shrimp in my 50g.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Give it time!

maddmaxx
06/02/2017, 08:39 PM
ive had a 6 line for almost 2yrs. maybe a tad longer. ive never had a problem. hes been with a cleaner shrimp for a decent amount of time now. it used to hide cause a yellow tail damsel ruled the tank. but when i upgraded i didnt include the damsel and he just swims around carelessly now.. also have a yellow wrasse patrolling around with him.

Kremis
06/03/2017, 12:08 AM
i have one with a lawnmower blenny in a 20 gal. perfectly fine.

johnike
06/03/2017, 05:49 AM
I pulled mine out of the 93 reef cube, and put it in with the big fishes.
Take that, you mean little so and so.
;)
:)

billdogg
06/03/2017, 05:55 AM
Many years ago, I ended up pulling one out of a 60 and putting it in a 150 with a 4' undulated moray.

hartin461
06/03/2017, 07:11 AM
One of my first saltwater fish in my 36 cube. Nothing else could stay with him. Ended up giving away him and tank just to move on...lol