PDA

View Full Version : Water Change

Deezill
06/02/2017, 10:21 AM
Hello RC peeps. I have a quick question. I did a 20% water change in my 125 gallon tank on Thursday at 7pm.

1.) When should I check Nitrates and other parameters?
2.) When can I add my new CUC?

Please keep in mind everything is doing wonderful this is just my weekly Maintenance. This is my first clean up crew. My tank is 14 months old I think I should get one. Thanks for the feedback.

hegeh
06/02/2017, 10:38 AM
Did you check your nitrate and other param for the last 14mth? What kind of cuc are you trying to get

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
06/02/2017, 11:04 AM
Your new water change water should be completely mixed with your tank water in just 5 to 10 minutes. It doesn't take long and depends on your flow rates.

If your parameters are good, add the CUC any time.

Deezill
06/02/2017, 11:26 AM
hegeh,

Yes I have checked and my Nitrates generally are steady at 10ppm. They go down when I do bigger water changes I just do 20% a week. As long as they don’t go above 10 I am guessing I am ok. I am only looking to get some Dwarf Ceriths snails and hermit crabs.

mcgyvr
06/02/2017, 12:14 PM
In general a nitrate level of 10 is fine for anything you want to keep in the tank from inverts to fish to corals,etc...
So yes.. add away..

Fish can easily tolerate much higher nitrate levels (100+) and in general many inverts too fine with it too.. Corals.. Not so much..

Usually the problem is more about nuisance algae,etc.. though with higher nutrient levels..

Deezill
06/02/2017, 12:40 PM
So I have coral in my tank Zoas and som Euphillia. I was running my lights 14 hours a day and I found it is was causing my sand to turn brown bcause of the long hours. I purchased a timer yesterday and I am cutting that down by 35% roughly 8.5 to 9 hours a day. My coral love it and they are beautiful but the brown must go lol. I am loving the timers though.

bertoni
06/03/2017, 07:27 AM
Snails and true shrimps won't be bothered by nitrate in the water column, not any anything like 10-20 ppm, anyway. Your tank probably is ready for a cleanup crew if there's anything for them to eat. If there's some algae growing, some herbivorous snails should be fine.

hegeh
06/03/2017, 08:39 AM
What @bertoni said is true.. if thereis something for the cuc to clean then your ready. Else dont bother.. my self did not have any cuc except cleaner shrimp. But its useless as it always steal my fish's food. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk