PDA

View Full Version : My TTM plan for Mandarin Dragonet

dxdoan
06/03/2017, 01:57 AM
Hi guys,
Need your opinions, my tank is +1 year old now and I have crazy amounts of pod population, so i'm pretty excited to finally (and patiently) look at introducing a mandarin dragonet.

My tank is ich free, I know this (i hope) because I have been very meticulous (learnt from my mistakes in the past) with introducing anything "wet" into my tank. For example TTM + 30 day QT for all fish along with a fallow tank of 72 days (coral were in the tank for the 72 days and have not added another piece since)
I also have a PBT and Blue Tang and they have never had a trace of white spot.

Now to the point, my plan is
- Each tank transfer I will add few of the live rock pieces and cut up some chaeto from the sump (i have quite a few live rock pieces in the sump as I had this plan in mind)
- Once the 72 hours is up, tank transfer add new live rocks/chaeto and repeat until 12 days is complete, then move to QT tank and add the remaining live rock pieces and add chaeto over time for it to eat over the 30 day period.

What do you think about this?

homer1475
06/03/2017, 03:48 AM
Mandarin dragonet are the one fish you should not ttm. There very thick slime coat prevents them from getting ich.

With that said, the only reason behind not ttming them is their specialized eating habits.

Pretty sure you know this, but from your post wording, they do not eat chaeto. They eat the pods that typically reproduce in the chaeto.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

GimpyFin
06/03/2017, 01:12 PM
+1. You really don't want to put these guys through QT. They are extremely resilient when it comes to disease, but really need to be settled in and eating, otherwise they go downhill pretty quick. (They pick around for food constantly.) If you have plenty of pods in the tank, that's good.

dxdoan
06/04/2017, 02:58 AM
Pretty sure you know this, but from your post wording, they do not eat chaeto. They eat the pods that typically reproduce in the chaeto.

Sorry you are right I didn't word it correctly, Mandarins don't eat chaeto but I planned to add it to maintain their pod supply in the QT.

I know Mandarin's have a thick slime coat that prevent them from white spot but I was advised that this does not mean that they don't carry it.
And hence why i am being extra careful.
The last thing i want is to add the mandarins and a few weeks later have signs of white spot from not doing a simple TTM.

Thanks for the reply.