PDA

View Full Version : Cupramine?

mjmarasigan
06/03/2017, 02:22 AM
Hi guys,

I have a scribbled angelfish in my QT now. He's one week in the QT and he's eating like a pig (frozen, nori, pellets). No signs of disease. But just to be sure, I'm thinking of starting his medications. I've decided on two rounds of prazipro. But I'm also thinking of having copper treatment first. Questions:

1. What's the recommended dose of copper especially for large angelfish? I know there are instructions, but just wanted to be safe. I don't want to underdose/overdose. (Of couse, I'd buy a Seachem copper testkit for that).

2. Is three weeks of copper treatment enough?

3. Planning to get a majestic angelfish after this one. Can the same dose be applied to it? (Although they are large angels, but not sure if the difference in the genus would have any effect to it).

Thanks in advance!

mjmarasigan
06/03/2017, 02:23 AM
Hi guys,

I have a scribbled angelfish in my QT now. He's one week in the QT and he's eating like a pig (frozen, nori, pellets). No signs of disease. But just to be sure, I'm thinking of starting his medications. I've decided on two rounds of prazipro. But I'm also thinking of having copper treatment first. Questions:

1. What's the recommended dose of copper especially for large angelfish? I know there are instructions, but just wanted to be safe. I don't want to underdose/overdose. (Of couse, I'd buy a Seachem copper testkit for that).

2. Is three weeks of copper treatment enough?

3. Planning to get a majestic angelfish after this one. Can the same dose be applied to it? (Although they are large angels, but not sure if the difference in the genus would have any effect to it).

Thanks in advance!

Edit: He's two weeks in the QT. One week he won't eat. Then after that, he started to eat anything I throw into the tank.

mjmarasigan
06/03/2017, 08:38 AM
Follow up question:
I have a few liverocks in the QT. Should I remove them when dosing cupramine? Thanks.

ClownNut
06/03/2017, 07:08 PM
yeah, remove all LR, they can handle the cupramine without issue. just keep the lvl at .15-.2 range should do the job.
all fish should go through cupramine(4wks) and prazi(3wks), if fish cant handle copper should do 4 wks of cp.

mjmarasigan
06/04/2017, 06:15 AM
yeah, remove all LR, they can handle the cupramine without issue. just keep the lvl at .15-.2 range should do the job.
all fish should go through cupramine(4wks) and prazi(3wks), if fish cant handle copper should do 4 wks of cp.

Just a curious question, at what concentration and length of time of cupramine treatment do the parasites get completely eradicated? Is there some sort of formula for it?

mjmarasigan
06/04/2017, 06:19 AM
Follow up question: since the LR is removed, so there would be a huge decrease in the nitrifying bacteria (am I right?). Therefore, ammonia spikes tend to occur. So i believe you have to do water changes quite often during copper treatment and redose the copper to the right level, right? Also I have a skimmer running, I would remove the cap off during prazi treatment (just to stabilize pH levels, as I've read). Should I do the same during copper treatment? Many thanks

ClownNut
06/04/2017, 07:50 AM
.15-.2 PPM as state above 8 weeks for me. that should kill the common disease that effect by copper. if you do 1ml per 10g water once. that should land you somewhat in the .15 ppm range. from week 4-8, the fish is under both cupramine and praziquantel(powder, not prazi pro if you have the powder)
i keep QT simple. bare tank, HOB, just filter floss with carbon cut out, and a heater. maybe a powerhead if I have a picky fish that I have to try multiple types of food.
never have any issue with ammonia unless i feed live clam, when i do that i do 50% water if i see cloudy water. if you water is crystal clear you dont have any ammonia.
In QT only thing i care about is no ammonia.