PDA

View Full Version : What meds will kill what fish?

A sea K
06/03/2017, 09:08 AM
It's just been brought to my attention to not treat my wrasses with CP (cloroquine?) as it is harmful to them. I have also heard of other fishes that are sensitive to other meds. Had it not been pointed out I would more than likely killed what few remaining fish I have in an effort to save them.
Is their someone in the know that could make up a list of what to use and not to use for certain types of fish and put it up as a sticky. I have been searching many treatment threads lately and some of this info is out there but it is at best scarce and even harder to locate.
TIA, Chris

JustinM
06/03/2017, 03:06 PM
pm me and I will send you a link. There is another site but RC won't let me post the link.

LobsterOfJustice
06/03/2017, 10:22 PM
I think this would be a great resource. I put out a similar request in the past and it didn't really materialize. As far as adding info... wrasses are also known to be sensitive to praziquantel as well (although it won't necessarily kill them). I personally have experienced this (wrasses go into hiding the rest of the day after a Prazi dose).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alprazo
06/03/2017, 10:41 PM
I wish it,was as simple as a post. I could have started the wrasse CP thing when first reporting the use of CP for ich. I had group of wrasse die during treatment. It was the only fish of many I experimented with to succumb during treatment. After reporting it, others stated having similar problems. That is how I remember it going. Anyway, since that time I have treated many wrasse without incident, including the same melanuris species that died on me. I have also treated a great many fish with copper over the years that are reported to be intolerant, including sharks.

I wish it were as simple as dogs with grapes and parrots with avocado. Unfortunately it's not. I have seen and personally known humans that died from ampicillin, sulfa drugs and cipro while most are cleared of their infection with zero side effects.

If there is a list I would question its usefulness.

A sea K
06/04/2017, 04:26 AM
Well it sure seemed like a good idea and I'm sure there must be some solid interactions between certain fish and and certain medication. I'm hoping others will join in and contribute some more info.