PDA

View Full Version : Lps tank and cyano

theshaman
06/03/2017, 03:17 PM
Hi reefcentral!
I have a 90 gallon lps dominant tank so I try to not have too much flow. I can't seem to find a balance between too little flow or too much flow. I'm starting to see patches of cyano growing here and there. I would like to put more flow to get rid of dead spots but don't want to have it where my euphyllias are always closed up.
How do you guys do it?

jstack
06/03/2017, 05:20 PM
I run 3 small powerheads in a 56 to keep flow from being too harsh. one 450gph koralia, one rw-4 wavemaker 1000gph and a mj 1200 for a small area. I started with a pair 850gph koralia.....I have 2 others 750gph. kinda touch and go with flow. See what works, the best bet for tank full of hammer/frogspawn types is to have smaller or controllable ph's lots of good water movement without hitting them in one direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyXKpl2xEs
grab a soda hope this helps

Pond Boy
06/04/2017, 07:18 AM
I don't know where the myth started that LPS like low flow. In the wild they are exposed to some pretty harsh conditions. My Duncan, Frogspawn, Hammer's and Acans all do very well with what most consider high flow. I do give them days with low to sometimes no flow for a few hours with lights on and at night.

They will acclimate to higher flow just give it time. It's not a constant type flow in the wild; so why would one strive for that in captivity?

theshaman
06/06/2017, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I upped my flow. I hope it will do the job. Some of my euphyllias seem a little annoyed but I think they'll adapt.