PDA

View Full Version : Apex (classic) display went out.

jacobse1
06/03/2017, 07:28 PM
Background:
I've had a really terrible time getting the Apex networked since moving to my current house 2.5 years ago due to the home office (and router) being in the opposite corner of the house. I had all sorts of problems keeping the thing linked with range extenders. So I haven't been networked for about 2 years. I also had a kid at the same time, and my tank has been just running on autopilot since then (which has turned out to be better than me fiddling with it unsurprisingly).

Well, I finally decided to make some changes and update the tank a little and found that some of my outlets would not update while others would easily save. So I decided to try reconnecting the Apex to the network by plugging into a range extender and my display went out. The backlight still comes on, but no display. All of my modules also started to blink and a few things (sump light, Co2) went off but not other things.

So I disconnected the unit, brought it into the office and performed a much needed firmware update. Even when hard-wired to the router, I can't get the Apex to connect. I'm afraid to put the Apex back in service without having either the display or the fusion dashboard to know if the settings are correct. What can I do? (Besides ordering the new Apex which I was considering anyway and went ahead and did today)
Thanks
-Jeff

jonnyu
06/03/2017, 08:02 PM
I remember I had one apex go dead on me once. It was pretty old. I just made a customer service ticket on there website and they actually offer to rebuild the unit. I sent it out and I paid for the repair. It was under $100 i think. Might be worth sending it for repair and keeping as a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobse1
06/03/2017, 09:18 PM
Yeah. I'm planning on moving again and was going to get the new Apex to set up a new tank in advance of moving. Now, I guess I'll just upgrade on my current tank and use the classic to cycle/setup the new tank.

But being without the controller has me pretty freaked out as I have everything running through Apex modules. So I have to mentally check off what needs manual control. That's hard when I literally haven't touched anything in 2 years.

kurt_n
06/03/2017, 10:15 PM
...What can I do? (Besides ordering the new Apex which I was considering anyway and went ahead and did today)

Well... you ordered a new Apex, so what's done is done. Not sure why you're asking for advise at this point!

There's a lot to ask about there, but it basically sounds like the main issue was you couldn't connect the Apex to your network. If you updated the firmware at your office, I'm guessing you could connect it fine there. So I'm guessing when you say you can't get it to connect, it's back at your home. Most likely, the network settings between work and home aren't compatible and DHCP is turned off... so it won't automatically connect to your home router like it should.

As far as manual control... it shouldn't be too hard to deal with. Heaters, lights, and pumps - that's all that's critical at this point.

jacobse1
06/03/2017, 10:25 PM
I need to get this classic unit working so I can get my new tank set up and running at the new place prior to breaking down this tank. The office is the home office where the modem and router live. I can't check the network settings without the display, so I either need a new display or some clever workaround to force some settings or guess the settings.

Breadman03
06/03/2017, 11:24 PM
Check out the classifieds and local club forums. Especially since the 2016 came out, there's been a pretty steady supply of used Apex systems out there. I bet you could have a new display for a pretty solid price.

jonnyu
06/04/2017, 10:19 AM
I need to get this classic unit working so I can get my new tank set up and running at the new place prior to breaking down this tank. The office is the home office where the modem and router live. I can't check the network settings without the display, so I either need a new display or some clever workaround to force some settings or guess the settings.

If everything is working but your display you can borrow one from a fellow reefer. If not you can power one and off and I will give you the sequence of buttons to press to reset DHCP. Maybe you the key pad still works and display is dead. But from your original post it seems like nothing is working

jacobse1
06/04/2017, 10:29 AM
If everything is working but your display you can borrow one from a fellow reefer. If not you can power one and off and I will give you the sequence of buttons to press to reset DHCP. Maybe you the key pad still works and display is dead. But from your original post it seems like nothing is working

He display is still backlit and I think may be functional. Resetting the DHCP might allow me to connect.

jonnyu
06/04/2017, 10:31 AM
Okay well I'm working till 7:30 tonight. When I get out I will give you the steps . Try hitting the down arrow one time and see if tank goes into feed
Mode

jacobse1
06/04/2017, 10:31 AM
Check out the classifieds and local club forums. Especially since the 2016 came out, there's been a pretty steady supply of used Apex systems out there. I bet you could have a new display for a pretty solid price.

I'm still wondering if the display for the new model is backwards compatible with the classic. I may just be able to use it when it arrives.

Breadman03
06/04/2017, 10:56 AM
The current Apex Classic uses the same display, but I think the color is different. I don't think the Apex 2016 comes with a display.

jacobse1
06/04/2017, 06:10 PM
The current Apex Classic uses the same display, but I think the color is different. I don't think the Apex 2016 comes with a display.

Thanks, after digging around it looks like the new display is backwards compatible (if not entirely the same except for color) so I'll be able to connect it on Wednesday. I did order it separately.

Thanks for offering to map out the clicks Jonny but I'll save you the trouble and wait until the new display arrives. Honestly, I would probably screw up the sequence.

jonnyu
06/04/2017, 07:40 PM
Center button/ down arrow 3 times/ center button / down arrow once/ up arrow once/ center button

You should see all apex reset. Give it a couple minutes. If it resets and you still can't connect to it via network. Then your dhcp might set to off. I can explain how to turn it on. Below will turn DHCP from off to on and reset

Center button/ down arrow 3 times/ center button / down arrow once/ center button/ up arrow/center button

jacobse1
06/08/2017, 12:20 PM
Neither the old nor the new display work with the Apex classic base unit. Both work with the new Apex unit. So it appears that I have an issue Ruth the base unit. The base unit status indicators tell me it "thinks" it is functioning correctly when it is not actually connecting with modules.

I'm a little confused as to how I can do a firmware update across a wired connection but can't get the unit to otherwise register.

FullBoreReefer
06/08/2017, 05:45 PM
Unplug the display. Sign into the classic dashboard and delete the display module. Go into network settings and restart the apex. Plug display back in.

jacobse1
06/08/2017, 05:59 PM
Unplug the display. Sign into the classic dashboard and delete the display module. Go into network settings and restart the apex. Plug display back in.

APEX is disconnected. It doesn't show up on network even when hard-wired to the router.

wmo168
06/09/2017, 07:27 AM
APEX is disconnected. It doesn't show up on network even when hard-wired to the router.

Have you check your router setting and see if it is connected?

jacobse1
06/09/2017, 07:52 AM
Hard-wired to the router. I open the router portal and it's not listed as a connected device. I use the search function to look for an apex in the uploaded, and it shows nothing. I dig up an old router and get the same result. I got the reset firmware from Neptune and uploaded that then uploaded the current firmware as instructed. I can't update the web page because it can't find the device. I tried to start over by employing the reset firmware again, but now I can't even update firmware. I think the unit is toast.