PDA

View Full Version : Help

jtryan01
06/05/2017, 05:23 PM
I have an 80 gallon reef tank with live rock, a sump tank with two protein skimmers. My fish include: Yellow tang, 2 bar goby, 2 clownfish, damsel, long nosed hawk
My tank was established 20 months ago. The corals I have or had until I lost them are: Hammer Coral (dead), Duncan (dead), Flower Pot (dying),
I also have my tank maintained every other week. My water varies a little, between 78 to 81 – the fish store thinks I am losing everything because of the temperature. They want to sell me a chiller. HELP?
My latest readings were:
Calcium – 470
Magnesium – 1410
Salinity – 1.25
Nitrate – 25
Alkalinity – 10.9

These were the tests from 10 days ago. I have since lost my Duncan. Any advice would be great.

scuzy
06/05/2017, 05:43 PM
Check for chloramine in your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gladmaker
06/05/2017, 06:40 PM
I'm not an expert but nitrate at 25 is high for corals. 81 for temp is on the high side, but I doubt it's responsible for death in itself, but in combination with other issues may cause additional problems. I'm not sure you need a chiller as 78 is not bad. I had a glass lid on my 70 gal and the temp went to 82 with room temp at 75. I'm running 2 wave pumps, a hob skimmer with pump in tank, a refuguim with pump in tank an LED light and a 2 bulb HO florescent lamp. All those generate a lot of heat. I took off the lid and the temp dropped 3 or 4 degrees. I have more evaporation so I'm using more top off water. Another step other than a chiller would be a fan. I was going to do that before I decided to remove the lid. I think the first thing you should work on is to reduce nitrate. There are several methods to do that. You don't show phosphate, but I would guess it's high also.

jtryan01
06/05/2017, 07:37 PM
I have been running a fan for several weeks. Phosphates were at zero. I'm so perplexed.

Bma1972
06/05/2017, 08:52 PM
That's high for nitrate. And a swinging temp could be a problem too. Although there is argument on that both ways. How are they dying, disintegrating, puking out, receding, turning into jelly?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Bma1972
06/05/2017, 08:54 PM
That's high for nitrate. And a swinging temp could be a problem too. Although there is argument on that both ways. How are they dying, disintegrating, puking out, receding, turning into jelly?

Also what's the location in the tank, flow lighting?

chevegan
06/05/2017, 10:54 PM
how are the po4 at zero? Water changes? gfo? Need a little more info pls. your no3 is high especially if you are reading zero on po4. What phosphate kit you using? what no3 kit for that matter. Did you mean 0.25 nitrate? or 25ppm?