PDA

View Full Version : Current filter philosophies

goodman770
06/06/2017, 08:48 AM
Hello everyone....long time reef keeper, but had about 10 years off. I'm starting to compile a budget and figure out my plan for my new tank.

In my last tank (90) I had a magnum 350 for mechanical and a wet dry, I think it was called a Mandarin. Speaking with some of the local LFS....wet dry's are not good, and they have refugium's. Anyway....if I were to get another 90....what would be a good way to handle filtration.

What are folks using these days for medium sized tanks for reefs?

Ron Reefman
06/06/2017, 09:15 AM
I have a 125g DT with 100 corals, mostly sps. The sump is 50g and has 2 filter socks from the DT and a skimmer. I also made a 50g cube (2'x2'x20") to use as a display refugium with some macro algae. It also drains into the sump so there is a 3rd filter sock.

I don't use any GFO, or carbon, or phosban in a reactor. I don't dose vodka or any other carbon source. I don't run a UV sterilizer. I only do a 25g water change every couple of months. There is a link address in my signature below that is to my build thread. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/20170223_155902_zpsvdc4cdic.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/20170223_155902_zpsvdc4cdic.jpg.html)

Mishri
06/06/2017, 11:18 AM
yeah, don't use any kind of filtration.. even 10 years ago that was considered not good.. just rocks and plenty of flow. some(many) like to grow algae for nutrient export in their sumps... an algae scrubber is what I'm looking at getting (a matt with a light shining on it and water running over it). There are some commercial versions, I haven't decided which route to go.

others do carbon dosing, with extra heavy skimming... and some do nothing at all.. just live rock and plenty of water movement.

some of it depends on what you are trying to keep.. and I don't believe in starting carbon dosing unless you have an issue that you can't solve any other way... if you are keeping mostly softies they like the dirty water with higher nitrates... so you don't need to do much at all.

goodman770
06/06/2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys...I'll probably do soft corals and a few fish. Like most of us, I like to over filter a little bit and maybe reduce some of my maintenance. It seems so much has changed in 10 years....LED's, crazy controllers, phone apps, all in one systems.

I'm super excited, just afraid of how much this will cost in the end.

jda
06/06/2017, 03:50 PM
Using the rocks and sand is called the Berlin Method... along with skimming and water changes. By far the most used method around. Worked decades ago and works today.

Mishri
06/06/2017, 04:50 PM
If you are looking at a simple setup with softies and fish you don't need much. I'd just get some T5 lights, just 2 bulbs would be enough for softies..(many don't even need that) You could even run a no sump/no skimmer setup. sand is optional, rocks for reefs are necessary. Someone had pics of their no sump, no skimmer, 1 year w/o water changes tank, softies and fish and live rock with some powerheads and a heater was it.. and it looked good. You don't need to do much maintenance on those tanks.. just keep water topped off and feed.

I personally wouldn't bother with controllers or LED's, unnecessary expenses for that kind of aquarium.

I do like they gyre for the flow.. but again, with softies you can use some cheap powerheads.