PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish Treatment

mjmarasigan
06/06/2017, 10:42 AM
So, I have decided that I would be having copper treatment (cupramine) and prazipro for my scribbled and majestic angelfish. I plan to have the treatment in five weeks with the schedule as follows:

Week 1: Raise copper levels from 0 to 0.35 mg/L. Observe if fish are still eating. Would probably raise it slowly (divided into 3-4 doses). Do it while skimmer collection cup on.

Week 2: Assume that fish are eating. Dose prazipro. Skimmer still on but without collection cup.

Week 3: "Rest" (basically eliminate prazipro from system, but still maintaining copper levels). Skimmer collection cup back on.

Week 4: Dose another round of prazipro and remove skimmer cup.

Week 5: "Rest" (eliminate prazipro from system, but still maintaining copper levels). Skimmer collection cup back on.

Week 6: Drip acclimate fish to DT. Do water change for QT and have activated carbon to remove all traces of copper.

How does that sound? TIA for your inputs.

Khazmodain
06/06/2017, 11:15 AM
So, I have decided that I would be having copper treatment (cupramine) and prazipro for my scribbled and majestic angelfish. I plan to have the treatment in five weeks with the schedule as follows:

Week 1: Raise copper levels from 0 to 0.35 mg/L. Observe if fish are still eating. Would probably raise it slowly (divided into 3-4 doses). Do it while skimmer collection cup on.

Week 2: Assume that fish are eating. Dose prazipro. Skimmer still on but without collection cup.

Week 3: "Rest" (basically eliminate prazipro from system, but still maintaining copper levels). Skimmer collection cup back on.

Week 4: Dose another round of prazipro and remove skimmer cup.

Week 5: "Rest" (eliminate prazipro from system, but still maintaining copper levels). Skimmer collection cup back on.

Week 6: Drip acclimate fish to DT. Do water change for QT and have activated carbon to remove all traces of copper.

How does that sound? TIA for your inputs.

Most angels don't tolerate copper well... not sure specifically about these two though. If it were me I would be inclined to try other methods such as hyposalinity and chloroquine phosphate.

Mishri
06/06/2017, 12:28 PM
^ I agree 100% with Khazmodain here... I wouldn't use cupramine. There are safer, better alternatives, and treatments that will kill more things. (CP will handle ich, velvet, and urenoma)

JustinM
06/06/2017, 05:28 PM
Chelated copper would be a better fit, but the pomacanthus species will handle cupramine. I am not sure about the scribbled angel. I have never had an angel not take copper though. Just make sure they are eating first. I will agree with CP being the best choice.

As for keeping cupramine at .35, that is too low. You have no wiggle room if it were to dip below that. .45 to .5 is a much better plan IMO. 2 weeks of copper is all you need as well if you have a parasite free tank for them to go into after.

scooter31707
06/12/2017, 10:58 AM
My majestic was very stressed out with Cupramine and that was the last time I used cooper.