PDA

View Full Version : Velvet question

Heuristic
06/06/2017, 02:54 PM
I have been looking at my fish and under blue light only, I could see what appears to be velvet. It's been on the tang and clown fish for probably a week now. My question is, should I continue to feed them as they continue to act completely normal(the clowns are still even doing their mating dance) or should I really break the tank apart and get them all treatment?

They don't seem stressed at all right now and have heavy appetites still. I feel like breaking the tank apart, putting them in QT and treating them is only going to worsen the condition. Can they really fight it off completely? If it wasn't for the visual powdered sugar on them, you really couldn't even tell they are infected by it.

Would adding something like a UV Sterilizer knock it down enough for them to get the upper hand?

I have some corals in the DT, fish include 2 cardinals, a watchmen and bluespotted goby(catching them will be, lol), 2 clownfish, 2 chromis, 1 one-spot foxface, 1 kole tang.

wcu
06/06/2017, 06:08 PM
How big is your tank?

Heuristic
06/06/2017, 06:50 PM
75 gallon

wcu
06/06/2017, 07:17 PM
In a tank of that size, I'd bet there's a good bit of stress shared between the foxface and the tang, even if you don't see it. It probably keeps the other fish on edge as well. There have been times when I've had a tank just to the edge of stocking limits and everything in the tank seems so excitable. Then, as if by magic, by removing just one fishy inhabitant, everything falls into order.

If it were me, I'd try to trap the clown and tang, treat both of them, return the clown to the DT and rehome the tang.

Heuristic
06/06/2017, 07:21 PM
In a tank of that size, I'd bet there's a good bit of stress shared between the foxface and the tang, even if you don't see it.

I actually did see some stress between the two of them for the first week or so, but the last few days they seem to ignore each other now and will even spend time eating at the same rocks. The stress level of tank seems really low right now which is why I am kind of timid to just yank everyone out to treat them.