PDA

View Full Version : MP60 QD and Battery backup

uwish
06/07/2017, 03:48 PM
Greetings,

summer time here, and we have had some boomers rip through that has resulted in a loss of power on several occasions. Granted, not for very long (~30 min avg), but I have a heavily stocked tank and want to ensure minimal flow under a power loss situation.

So, I have two tanks, and both have the EchoTech battery backup only connected to the MP's (40's in the other tank). I checked them both, and the MP 40's were running in the proper mode, FUSION said 'Battery' when I checked the connection (yes, I have battery backup for the my home router, cable modem and my Apex). When I checked my other tank, MP60's both said 'battery' but...the lights were flashing red on the MP60's and the pumps were not running.

I did a reset, re-attached the MP60's thinking it was something minor, fast forward two other power loss times (which is quite high for us, in 12 years I can count on one hand the number of times we have lost power) and the same thing happened.

Any thoughts? is this a 'weak' battery? (4 years old)...not sure why my 60's are not working during a power loss, there is 'some' power getting to them from the battery but it appears as if it just isn't enough?

kind of at a loss here.

Breadman03
06/07/2017, 03:53 PM
I'd swap the battery to a 40 and confirm where the issue is.

mfinn
06/08/2017, 07:31 PM
Any thoughts? is this a 'weak' battery? (4 years old)...not sure why my 60's are not working during a power loss, there is 'some' power getting to them from the battery but it appears as if it just isn't enough?

kind of at a loss here.

as previously stated swap out the vortechs.
Also I had a question on the shelf life of a backup battery and found a thread where Alex ( from ETM) said they have a 3-5 year shelf life.

uwish
06/16/2017, 12:29 PM
yup bad battery, or I should say loss of battery due to age; ordered another 12v 18 amp deep cycle battery and some 6/32 stainless steel machine screws, will refurbish the unit myself.

ca1ore
06/25/2017, 06:33 PM
I have a pair of the battery backups, and while I think they are an important part of my disaster prevention plan, they're not that long lived. I had one fail after less than two years. Not under warranty anymore, though ETM did offer me a discount on a replacement. Highly recommend checking them periodically.