PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my tang?

saltyclaus
06/08/2017, 10:59 AM
My yellow tang is in quarantine after TTM and is showing white stringy attachments. I don't think it's ich and am wondering if it could be flukes. I am planning to treat with prazipro but as I couldn't find it in Europe I ordered from the States and now my order has been stuck in customs for over a week [emoji53]

The answers to the questionnaire:

1. How old is this aquarium?
Newly setup quarantine with power filter

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?
0 ppm

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured?
34 ppt

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium?
One week a go after TTM. Other fish in qt don't show these spots (yet).

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How?
No treatment besides TTM

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When?
No copper so far. Have copper sulfate in the house.

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?
Not applicable

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?
The attachments look fluffy and protrude from the skin. I included a picture and zoomed in detail.
The spots are on all parts of the body and fins, not massively but an estimated 40 spots. They are best visible on the edges of the body as that offers most contrast. The zoomed in picture shows several on his forehead.

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish?

He's active, though I have the impression he experiences discomfort, kind off shaking and an occasional short dart through the tank. Not sure what to expect as it's my first tang.

10. Is the fish eating? What

He eats nori and meaty pellets. Doesn't care much for any of the frozen foods I offer.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/bb71577f511cffe7a3570188124cdf35.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/5a5766071cdb2e6181346941bf9e8228.jpg

Mishri
06/08/2017, 04:26 PM
Those look similar to an anchor worm my powder blue tang had. a cleaner shrimp cleaned up the infestation. Other anti-parastic medications might also work.

or it's flukes like you originally guessed, and that is what it looks more like.

prazipro is praziquantel.. you might find something there locally that contains that as an active ingredient. (it's usually sold as a de-wormer for dogs, I'm not sure what the dosage would be in a saltwater aquarium).. api general cure also has it.