PDA

View Full Version : I need some convincing

DTeeVee
06/08/2017, 02:23 PM
So I personally think my clean up crew is kind of boring: like 10 turbo snails that knock every damn thing over, 5 red leg hermits, but I have these nassarius snails and a cleaner shrimp I love. So I'm thinking of getting a fighting conch (they look so cool and do work), a cowrie (haven't really done research but I'm interested), sand sifting stars, and urchins (but I hear bad stuff)

One thing I really want are crabs. I love crabs so much but I only hear bad stuff about them. I know they're opportunistic and they will eat some fish and coral if they're hungry. What crabs could I do that have the smallest chance of doing that? I have 2 clownfish that sleep together in the bottom right of the tank all night and I'm scared the crab will eat it. Thanks in advance

York1
06/08/2017, 03:11 PM
I love emerald crabs and as far as i known they are reef safe

river2reef2024
06/08/2017, 03:27 PM
I love emerald crabs and as far as i known they are reef safe
I would never put one of those in my tank ever!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

henryle
06/08/2017, 03:43 PM
I would never put one of those in my tank ever!!

How come?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

river2reef2024
06/08/2017, 04:01 PM
Have had friends that these crabs go rogue and eat their coral

outssider
06/08/2017, 04:30 PM
I've had many emerald crabs and never had a problem with them eating any corals or fish but they did not survive long (a year at most) because there wasn't enough for them to eat. Same with sand sifting star, lasted several months. I have been able to keep sally lightfoots for quit a long time (several years) and they never bothered fish or coral.

Ron Reefman
06/08/2017, 04:52 PM
So I'm thinking of getting a fighting conch (they look so cool and do work), a cowrie (haven't really done research but I'm interested), sand sifting stars, and urchins (but I hear bad stuff)

One thing I really want are crabs. I love crabs so much but I only hear bad stuff about them. I know they're opportunistic and they will eat some fish and coral if they're hungry. What crabs could I do that have the smallest chance of doing that? I have 2 clownfish that sleep together in the bottom right of the tank all night and I'm scared the crab will eat it. Thanks in advance

Two points:

1. If you think your snails have been knocking things over, wait till you get a fighting conch, cowrie or urchin.

2. I have had and still have quite a few emerald crabs and I've never had an issue with the eating corals or live fish. That doesn't mean they can't, that's just my experience with them.

DTeeVee
06/08/2017, 05:31 PM
Ahh yes let me rephrase my initial statement, the snails (the one massive one) only plows over the lobos because I haven't glued them on a rock in the sand like I usually do. Everything else on the rocks are fine except and I'm getting more rocks this weekend for the lobos

fishchef
06/08/2017, 07:31 PM
We had a Sally kill a Clam. They get big and mean. Caught mine and gave him to my LFS.

Lsufan
06/08/2017, 07:46 PM
Personally, I stay away from crabs in my reef tank. In my fowler I have some red minthrax crabs that came in my liverock. I only have a few zoas as far as coral but they haven't been a issue.

I have three conchs & they tend to stay in the sandbed. I don't think I have ever seen them on a rock, so I don't think they will bulldoze much. I like them, I have two in my 150 gallon & one in my 40 breeder.

I have 12 black urchins in one tank & they will bulldoze coral if they aren't attached well. I like them in that tank but I haven't put one in my reef tank because it is loaded with coral & in afraid they will knock them over. I do like the urchins though.

I have a cucumber that I like too. They grow really fast though and need a decent sized tank. Mine was about 1" to 1.5" around a year and a half ago when I got him, it is now close to 6".

Something else u may consider. I always liked nass snails but LA sells Tongan Nass snails which are the same thing for the most part but they are a lot bigger. I have about 5 of them & they are one of my favorites.

ca1ore
06/09/2017, 07:40 AM
Different strokes .....

Emeralds and hermits are essential members of my CUC. Have to feed the tank adequately though, otherwise they can go rogue. Mine never have however. Have a few cucumbers and lots of snails.

lizri
06/09/2017, 08:21 AM
I personally never had issues with my emerald crab but I have heard horror stories. That being said I err on the side of overfeeding so I'm sure they were getting enough. Not a crab, but if you're looking for algae control consider a Tuxedo urchin! By far my favorite member of the CUC. They mow down algae and I never had a problem with mine moving a coral unless it wasn't adequately secured. They will decorate themselves with shells and debris (once mine carried a hermit around for a couple hours). They'll clean any hard surface (powerheads included) and won't damage acrylic. And you never have to worry about them harming any other members of the reef. Model citizens. My only caveat is that one urchin will cover a LOT of ground. After seeing how spotless mine kept a 55 I wouldn't put them in anything much smaller if you want it to live a long life, and I'd never get something knowing it would eventually starve to death.