PDA

View Full Version : Failed Hammer Coral Attempt

HUNGRYOVEN
06/08/2017, 06:51 PM
So this is my first tank so I'm new to the hobby. The tank has been up for over 4 months however I only began adding livestock a week ago. I use tap water with conditioner, not RODI. My recently added 2 Coral into my tank, an acan and a branching Hammer Coral. It's been over a week and my acan is looking great. Can't say the same for my hammer. A few days ago it began closing up and releasing a brownish liquid. (First pic). I looked on some forums and they said it was just excreting waste so I didn't worry about it... until it began excreting it's mouth. The whole mouth was showing and some polyps we're stripping off the steleton. I panicked and did a water change. I didn't dose anything so I don't know if that's the problem or not because the acan looked healthy. I bought some kalk but it has not arrived yet. After a few days, the hammer just stripping most of it's polyps off and the ones that styed on became brown and white sludge. That's how it is now. (Second pic) I know the coral has a small chance of surviving or getting revived, so I would like advice about my next Corals so that this does not happen again and about what mistakes I made. Please help. Thankshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/1114959e80330a81221529ed72469efc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/fa363affac942f4073ca17c20b324381.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Randy_BRS
06/09/2017, 02:16 PM
Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us! There are so many variables that can potentially cause a coral to die, even while others next to it are thriving. Things like water quality, flow, lighting, coral placement and much more.

Considering all of the potential variables that caused your specific coral to recede or die, it's just too difficult to say for sure what happened. I think the easiest way to figure these things out, is to run down the list of things that you are personally doing which are tested and proven to create a happy and healthy tank! :)

We know what water parameters work to achieve coral health. (Alkalinity, Calcium, Salinity, Nitrates, Phosphates, Ammonia, TDS...etc) So I would start by researching each water parameter and how it affects your tank and how you can control them. Honestly, I think this may be where the main source of your current issue may be.

There are so many disinfectants, minerals, chemicals and other biological contaminants in your tap water. This is why most reefers use a RODI water filtration unit to remove them, for the most pure and clean water possible for the reef. Although your conditioner may remove chlorine, your water may still have high concentrations of these other contaminants that may be causing the issues you see in your tank. It is highly advised by most of the reefing community to use RODI water for all of your top-off and water change needs. ;)

Outside of water parameters (which usually serves as the cause of many coral issues) you can try changing where your corals are placed in the tank. Manipulating their placement will allow you to find that sweet spot where they are getting enough flow and light!

All of that said, I can only highly recommend that you spend some time reading and learning everything you can about water quality and water parameters! One of my favorite resources, of course, are the posts here on RC as well as our entire YouTube channel! If you haven't already, check out the hundreds of videos we have posted over the years specifically those covering water filtration and water quality in a reef tank!

Here's a link to get you started! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/BulkReefSupplyCom/search?query=parameters

-Randy