PDA

View Full Version : Abyzz vs Royal Exclusiv

AZRippster
06/09/2017, 07:36 AM
I'm getting ready for a rebuild on my 450G and looking at going with a high quality DC pump. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with either of these pump manufacturers over several years of use? Since they are both a fair investment, I don't want to make a mistake.

One thing quickly stands out is the Abyzz includes a 10 year warranty whereas the Royal Exclusiv is 2 year.

At this point I'm not really interested in any of the Chinese manufactured DC pumps.

Any input would be greatly appreciated regarding these two pump manufacturers.

Thanks

mfinn
06/09/2017, 01:30 PM
I won't be much help to you as I am new to the Red Dragon 3 pumps.
I just installed a RD3 150 watt as my closed loop pump, and a RD3 80 watt as my return pump. The RD3 150 watt has been running for a couple weeks and the RD3 80 watt about a week.
Both pumps are about as quiet as you could hope for.
Seem really solid, built tough.
Customer support seems to be very responsive and fast. ( questions, not problems)

jporter
06/09/2017, 03:21 PM
I have an RD3 50 on my BK skimmer and RD3 80 on the return. I will never buy another brand pump. Until you try one you won't believe how silent and vibration free they are. Plus the RE support is top notch. JP

AZRippster
06/09/2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks a bunch for the replies. I'm sure the Abyzz are silent too. I've read other forums in the past that rave the Abyzz but was curious how they compare to the Red Dragon. It's just the crappy warranty that Royal Exclusiv offer on their RD vs the Abyzz that has me concerned. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences. Once, again, thanks!

Bazjones
06/09/2017, 04:56 PM
After looking at a RD3 80w and a Abyzz A200 I purchased the Abyzz pump.

Two weeks later I sold the pump on eBay.

First off the pump felt like it was made from cheap plastic ( not what I was expecting from a pump in this price range) and the low pitched hum it produced while running was very annoying.

I bought a RD3 80 and the difference was huge in build quality and noise.

Basically it is silent !

If I were you I would go with the RD pump, you won't be disappointed 👍

Hope this helps 🙂

ksed
06/09/2017, 07:01 PM
I won't be much help to you as I am new to the Red Dragon 3 pumps.
I just installed a RD3 150 watt as my closed loop pump, and a RD3 80 watt as my return pump. The RD3 150 watt has been running for a couple weeks and the RD3 80 watt about a week.
Both pumps are about as quiet as you could hope for.
Seem really solid, built tough.
Customer support seems to be very responsive and fast. ( questions, not problems)

How would you compare the RD to Vectra you have?

Cavediver50
06/09/2017, 07:04 PM
I just bought an A400 for a closed loop running 2" spa flex, and an A100 for a return pump from the basement through the floor.... tank is just being setup and plumbed now, so no experience yo give yet

mfinn
06/09/2017, 07:31 PM
How would you compare the RD to Vectra you have?

Use to have.

Stronger, just as quiet or maybe a little quieter.
The Vectra was starting to give off a little hum/whine.

jwilliams860
06/09/2017, 10:11 PM
I've been running my rd3 80 for about 6 months, no issues at all, dead silent.

I will say the only thing I don't like about mine is there is no quick disconnect between the pump and the controller. So if I want to clean the pump, I have to unmount the controller and reroute all the wiring back through my stand and sump to get the pump out.

AZRippster
06/09/2017, 10:27 PM
That's interesting and helpful to know. I suppose since the warranty is only 2 years, after that time a person could cut the cord and mod the line with a quick connect connector of sorts. I just checked the Royal Exclusiv site for the RD3 80 and they are on backorder with no ETA.

Breadman03
06/09/2017, 11:42 PM
My RD3-230 has been running my basement sump for about two years now and is still effectively silent.

Of note, there is now a pressure version available!

gcarroll
06/10/2017, 12:20 AM
After looking at a RD3 80w and a Abyzz A200 I purchased the Abyzz pump.

Two weeks later I sold the pump on eBay.

First off the pump felt like it was made from cheap plastic ( not what I was expecting from a pump in this price range) and the low pitched hum it produced while running was very annoying.

I bought a RD3 80 and the difference was huge in build quality and noise.

Basically it is silent !

If I were you I would go with the RD pump, you won't be disappointed [emoji106]

Hope this helps [emoji846]

Boy, this review seems a bit trollish. Anyone who has ever put their hands on an abyzz would never claim it felt like it was made of cheap plastic. Also, the RD3 80w is not even a comparable pump to the A200. As for selling it on EBay...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/4a1692fea7103249ec413f7b2e7dd405.jpg

bas.parinussa
06/10/2017, 03:22 AM
After using the mini3500 and the RD1 12.000 i'm using now the RD3 80w return pump and also the RD3 in my SM200 skimmer. Great pumps, absolut quiet and very sustainable. Besides, RE offers a great service! After 13 years and 24/7 duty my RD1 get serviced when i was going for the new RD3! Awesome company, nice guys and i'm very positive about this brand!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Bazjones
06/10/2017, 03:46 AM
Boy, this review seems a bit trollish. Anyone who has ever put their hands on an abyzz would never claim it felt like it was made of cheap plastic. Also, the RD3 80w is not even a comparable pump to the A200. As for selling it on EBay...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/4a1692fea7103249ec413f7b2e7dd405.jpg

Hi the guy asked for opinions on the two pumps and that's my opinion!

And yes it was sold on eBay in the Uk.

For all the hype about them I found the Abyzz pump nothing special.

Again just my opinion, others may think otherwise!

Bazjones
06/10/2017, 04:29 AM
Sorry guys I must apologise my pump was the smaller A100 not the A200 !

fixmgood
06/10/2017, 10:03 AM
I am running 2 RD 3's,one is my main pump the other is on a closed loop.They are really quiet and I must say I am extremely happy with them, customer service is great, just some minor issues that I had.The Abbyzz is also a great pump,when it was first introduced I had the opportunity to talk to the designer, spent some time going through the pump,it is a beast. One reason I did not get it was the price, as I would have needed 2 of them I needed interchangeability.

kennytze
06/10/2017, 11:20 AM
I have been running a RD3 80 watt return pump and a RD3 50 watt skimmer pump on my Royal Exclusive Supermarin 200 skimmer on my 180 gal tank for 20 months. They are so quiet you don't know they are running. I highly recommend.

AZRippster
06/10/2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, definitely helping with the decision making. How are people primarily running them, external or internal. Also, how is the heat transfer? The pump I'm replacing definitely transfers heat (Iwaki MD-70).

slief
06/10/2017, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies, definitely helping with the decision making. How are people primarily running them, external or internal. Also, how is the heat transfer? The pump I'm replacing definitely transfers heat (Iwaki MD-70).

I run a pair of RD3 230's on my tank. I've been running them since they were first released more than 2 years ago. They are external and replaced a pair of Superdart Golds. Aside from being silent, they truly run cold to the touch. These aren't your typical DC style pump in that unlike a DC pump that runs low voltage to the block, these run high voltage low current. The controller is in a heavy aluminum enclosure and is designed to bleed off the heat that would otherwise be transferred to the pump. As such, there is virtually no heat transfer. When I switched from the Darts which happen to be one the coolest running AC based pumps in their class, my tanks ambient temps dropped by over 2*. Now my main system always runs at or near ambient house temps. I also have an RD3 80 on a 90 gallon system at that too runs around ambient house temperature and never above. I've run Iwaki's before. You can't even compare these to the Iwaki. They transfer a lot of heat and are fairly noisy.

That said, I can't really fault the Abyzz pumps either. They appear to be great pumps too. Especially if you need a high volume pump that can handle extremely high head pressure. That said, I have never run one personally so I can't speak to their longevity or heat transfer but if I needed a high volume pump that can handle a 25' head, they would be on my short list.

AZRippster
06/12/2017, 09:13 AM
Thanks again for all your input and suggestions. As one last thing, can folks share their cleaning requirements for either the Abyzz or Royal Exclusiv pumps? Admittedly, I've gotten spoiled how non-sensitive to cleaning the Iwaki are. I don't neglect them, but it's not like I'm cleaning every 2-3 months. I know the cheaper Chinese DC pumps are very "service" dependant to keep them operating optimally.

slief
06/12/2017, 01:07 PM
I clean my RD3's every 12 or so months. if you are dumping kalk into the return section, are dosing into the return section or have a calcium reactor with the effluent going into the return section, cleaning every 6 months wouldn't be a bad idea. The magnets and motors on the RD3's are insanely heavy and powerful so they don't stall easily and as sensitive as typical DC pumps. I can't comment on the Abyzz but I would venture to guess that it's similar to the RD3 in that regard.

bas.parinussa
06/12/2017, 01:13 PM
Thats exactly the same here. I'll clean my RD3 once a year too and never had any issues with any RE pump with this temporary maintenance scheduale! ;-)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

bigzman
06/12/2017, 02:07 PM
I'm getting ready for a rebuild on my 450G and looking at going with a high quality DC pump. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with either of these pump manufacturers over several years of use? Since they are both a fair investment, I don't want to make a mistake.

One thing quickly stands out is the Abyzz includes a 10 year warranty whereas the Royal Exclusiv is 2 year.

At this point I'm not really interested in any of the Chinese manufactured DC pumps.

Any input would be greatly appreciated regarding these two pump manufacturers.

Thanks

We have a 850 gallon with 4 RD3 and I have tested both the ap400 and ap200. Here is what we learned on top of what you pointed out.

1. Make sure to ask about Apex modules and cables in advanced as they are separate pricing.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/royal-exclusiv-red-dragon-3-speedy-interface-adapter-110v60hz-10v-neptune-apex-cable.html?gclid=CM283amJudQCFcdAhgodgjkFYQ

We had to get special cables for our 4 x 230.

2. Both are amazing silent but I heard the abyzz at full power slightly. Both at full power was still far lower sound than any other pump I have come across.

3. Abyzz has a cool controller ACS module will let you alternate if you have a closed loop or want to alternate your left side returns to right side returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEceHiPqRg

4. Pricing was something that was hard to justify for 4 AP400s and ACS modules so we decided to go with Red dragons since we did not need high head pressure ratings.

5. Abyzz has longer cords to controller. I think RD cord length are 2 size options. I forgot already.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I wish I had known about the pressure versions 4 months ago.

AZRippster
06/12/2017, 06:26 PM
We have a 850 gallon with 4 RD3 and I have tested both the ap400 and ap200. Here is what we learned on top of what you pointed out.

1. Make sure to ask about Apex modules and cables in advanced as they are separate pricing.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/royal-exclusiv-red-dragon-3-speedy-interface-adapter-110v60hz-10v-neptune-apex-cable.html?gclid=CM283amJudQCFcdAhgodgjkFYQ

We had to get special cables for our 4 x 230.

2. Both are amazing silent but I heard the abyzz at full power slightly. Both at full power was still far lower sound than any other pump I have come across.

3. Abyzz has a cool controller ACS module will let you alternate if you have a closed loop or want to alternate your left side returns to right side returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEceHiPqRg

4. Pricing was something that was hard to justify for 4 AP400s and ACS modules so we decided to go with Red dragons since we did not need high head pressure ratings.

5. Abyzz has longer cords to controller. I think RD cord length are 2 size options. I forgot already.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I wish I had known about the pressure versions 4 months ago.

Thanks for the input. By chance, what has been your maintenance cycle on cleaning your RD3 pumps?

bigzman
06/12/2017, 06:41 PM
Have not done one yet. Was thinking of every 6'months

fixmgood
06/12/2017, 10:52 PM
Mine have been running for almost a year have not cleaned them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogger Castells
06/17/2017, 01:29 AM
I run an rd3 230v and I love it, mainly because it is dead quiet, it moves a ton of water and I love the soft start as well

StAiden
06/18/2017, 09:16 AM
We have RD50 and 2 x RD80 return pumps. Have run them for over 4 years (the 50). We got the 80 when it first came out and the 1st gen had issues which required 3 separate fixes from RE to resolve. Since then, all our return pumps have run with zero issues. As others have commented, yes, when we are cleaning we have to take the clean pail to the pump, not the pump to the sink as it does not disconnect from the controller. We clean every 6 - 8 months.
We purchased an Abyzz A100 for a new build based on the warranty alone. Also the pressure curve for the head height. However we have not gotten it installed due to an unforeseen move and whole revamp.
We run RD50 skimmer pumps on a Deluxe, Double cone and Supermarin. As you can tell, we are committed to RE and also own 2 of their dream boxes.
One of our 4 year old skimmer pumps became problematic in cleaning as the mag drive head became impossible to remove. We actually ended up making a jig, with a chuck from a drill press and a leather mallet, in order to get the head out. This worked fine until 6 months ago when it was so frozen we ended up breaking the ceramic shaft. We found that tolerances in the chamber were so fine, that bits of GFO was actually getting into the chamber and freezing it. We could see this with the drop in motor speed as well.
However the new head fits better and works just fine. No more GFO either.
Right now, our RD80 is feeding 4 tanks, plus a large UV and I think we have maxed its capacity as the flow is ok when open full throttle on all the tanks. Total water volume is 250 gallons. It's a temporary set up while we build a new home. I have debated putting the Abyzz on the system to see if I can get more flow, but feel that I will out run the sump, so am holding off.
Honestly you won't go wrong with either.
Go to MACNA in August and chat with both companies. See the pumps in action.

AZRippster
06/18/2017, 01:07 PM
Thanks SOOOO much to everyone who has chimed in. This really helps me make my decision. I'm leaning towards the RD3 150 for my main pump.

ArmanS
06/18/2017, 04:51 PM
I run 3 x RD3 230ws and have a RD3 on my skimmer.

The Red Dragon pumps are top quality. The Abyzz pumps are fantastic pumps as well, I've never owned one but I've seen them on tanks and in person and they are very nicely made pumps but the price difference made the decision easy for me.

I'm beyond happy with my RD3 pumps. Extremely quiet, powerful, easy to control and easy to clean.

GQsmooth
06/19/2017, 04:31 PM
Where are you guys purchasing these?

mfinn
06/19/2017, 04:49 PM
Where are you guys purchasing these?

Premium Aquatics is where I picked up my RD3 150 watt

Jstaff123
06/19/2017, 07:18 PM
I am running an Abyzz A400 for my return, then a RD 230w pump on my closed loop system. I think the flow demand and head pressure demands your setup requires will determine which pump you should choose. And obviously, the Abyzz is about double the price as a RD230, so it's tough to justify the Abyzz with how capable the RD pumps are.
I sprung for the Abyzz because of the large demand my system created. The Abyzz ran a 5 port manifold, a chiller loop that went up 10ft to the attic, over about 30ft, down to the next room, then back up to the attic to return to the tank. It also ran two 1" straight tank returns. It did all of this at 85%, so the pump is an absolute beast and the only pump within reason that I found tust could handle that load at such a relatively low power consumption.

So, unless you have something crazy like this, I would 100% say go Red Dragon, you will be extremely happy with the pump.

Jstaff123
06/19/2017, 07:20 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, the Abyzz interface cable for an apex or profilux is around $180, which is absolutely absurd. The RD cable is like $30 or $40, which is what I would expect them to be. Just another cost to consider if you need to control the pumps.

Socaltoaz
09/01/2017, 07:31 PM
Can't comment on the abyzz- but I have 6 royal exclusive pumps in my sump. 2 230 watt return pumps. 2 for media reactors. 2 for the skimmer. Not a single negative thing to say about them and the most important is the support by RE is second to none. Scott (Silef) is available and awesome. Get RE. You won't be sorry. I run a 1000 gallon system.

Cavediver50
09/01/2017, 08:45 PM
I am now running an Abyzz 400 on a closed loop, through all 2" plumbing, and an Abyzz 100 as my main return from the basement sump up through the floor for the return to my main display tank. Both these pumps are super strong, and I had to dial them back a lot. They are also completely dead silent! I cannot hear them at all!I am completely satisfied with them, and highly recommend them

Cavediver50
09/02/2017, 04:13 AM
Oh, forgot to mention, the Abyzz interface cable for an apex or profilux is around $180, which is absolutely absurd. The RD cable is like $30 or $40, which is what I would expect them to be. Just another cost to consider if you need to control the pumps.

Even though I am not using them for control, both my pumps came with the cables in the box.