PDA

View Full Version : Salinity probe and new Apex question

edolan
06/09/2017, 06:48 PM
I have purchased the new Apex system and have been setting it up. I set up the salinity probe this morning and have realized that it is fluctuating with the temperature. I have seen that there is a temperature compensation setting.

My question is if I apply the temperature compensation will I have to recalibrate the salinity probe?

I have read where that needed to be done on the earlier PM2 module but not sure if that applies to the new Apex or not.

jonmos75
06/09/2017, 09:34 PM
Yes you will need to set the Temp Compensation in the Salt Input page first and then re-calibrate the probe. Just remember if you ever want to Calibrate or spot check the calibration of the Salt probe you will need to to either float the calibration solution in the sump near the temp a salt probe or place the Salt and Temp probe in the packet of solution.

edolan
06/09/2017, 09:48 PM
Thanks. Guess it will have to wait til I get some more calibration fluid. Would of been nice if there was some information on this before I calibrated.

edolan
06/10/2017, 09:50 AM
Ok so now I am confused. The probe has been hooked up for 24 hours and initially it sat at 35.4 but has been creeping up. I get the fluctuation based on temperature but with each upswing the salinity moves into a higher range. Throughout the day it moved from 36 to 37 and now sits at 38.2. I have compared this with my refractometer which sits at a constant 35 ppt.

Any thoughts?